Chain dropping off

woodytitan
woodytitan Posts: 163
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Bought the wife a Giant womens Revel 2 thingy fortnight ago, she's been having trouble with the chain popping off, so much so she ended up going out the side door and making a bit of a mess of herself(Grazes, bruises etc.) contacted the LBS to book in for a look explained what had happened they were concerned and told to take straight back to them.
So did this at weekend, low and behold she's gone out this morning to test it out and informs me it's done it again and the chain is now lodged fast between the mech/frame etc.

So any help would be appreciated, it was mainly jumping off in low cog on rear and on any cog on front.
'11 Cannondale Trail SL3

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what gears is she trying to use?

there are a few combos that should not be used. (see the FAQs) if using the wrong combos this can accentuate the chain drop. but it does still sound like not quite correctly set lower mech stop.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ThePriory1978
    ThePriory1978 Posts: 563
    nicklouse wrote:
    what gears is she trying to use?

there are a few combos that should not be used. (see the FAQs) if using the wrong combos this can accentuate the chain drop. but it does still sound like not quite correctly set lower mech stop.

+1

To fully diagnose tho we need more info.

Is the chain coming off when she just changes gear? When shes rattling aggresively over rough terrain? Being sucked up between the chainstay and the front crank? When pumping the pedals going uphill and changing gear simultaneously?

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    woodytitan wrote:
    the chain is now lodged fast between the mech/frame etc.

+1 on the front mech low limit.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    My money's on the limit screws not being set properly, especially if it's come off at the rear and become lodged between the smallest sprocket and the frame. Lots of guides on the internet:

http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-front-derailer/

and

http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-rear-derailleur/

Should get you started. I'd expect this to be the first thing any remotely competant LBS mechanic would check, however. I've seen one case of an incompetant mechanic royally messing this up on a new bike, but it was from one of those big chain stores which are not renowned for training their staff (eg) which end of a screwdriver is which.

As above, more details of precise symptoms and circumstances would help.
  • woodytitan
    Hey guys thanks for all the feedback.

She says it comes off when downshifting on approach to and beginning climbs, this is on road stuff so nothing too strenuous like trails etc.

Before I start trying to fettle it i'm taking it back to the LBS as its 3 weeks old and they should've set it up right in the first place and the second time when i took it back! If I wanted to be in this situation i would've bought her a sub £100 bike from one of the national shops, but i didn't want to hence why i returned to my LBS. Anyway dropping it in tomorrow told them don't want it back until it's fixed and tested by them to work otherwise i want money back, see what happens eh!! Thanks again.
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    try this

stops it for ever! I run one on all my bikes now.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/k-edge-mtb-chain-catcher/
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • ThePriory1978
    ThePriory1978 Posts: 563
    Sounds like it's an adjustment to the front mech low limit screw needed as stated above. Its very simple, will only take seconds to do.
    Any decent bike monkey should of sorted it first time, one of the first things to check.

The manual for the front mech that came with the bike will describe how to adjust it in case you wanna look to see what the LBS will be doing to fix it.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • woodytitan
    Cheers guys, think i'll see how it comes back and if its right cool, if its nearly i'll have a fettle myself.

Thanks again.
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3