What undershorts?

dugliss
dugliss Posts: 235
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Just started cycling to work today and have realised that my poor buttcheeks are gonna need a bit of protection. What are the best undershorts to buy to wear under my regular workshorts? Also realised how sweaty a rucksack can make you and just wondering what are peoples views on panniers, are they a nightmare against the wind?

Comments

• davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Switched to panniers a couple of years ago and they don't make any noticeable difference to drag on a city commute. The benefits outweigh the issues for me by a long way, and I'm glad that I'm no longer carrying a laptop or any other stuff on my back.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    +1 for Panniers much better than rucksack. I only use mine once a week to transfer shirts and underwear to work and dirty stuff home. The rest of time it's just the pockets on the jersey which can take a multitool, inner tube, arm warmers, tyre levers etc without a problem.

I do however wish I had gone for clip on rack something like this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/top ... gn=froogle with the corresponding bag so i didn't have to leave rack on all the time.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    If you are buying panniers I recommend getting ones that have at least one outer pocket.

You can put keys, wallets, spares and work ID card in there and be able to get to them without rummaging through the main compartment. Makes everything quicker on a daily basis and keeps your gear dry on wet days.
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    I use these Craft Cool Bike Boxers under my regular baggy shorts.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    dugliss wrote:
    Just started cycling to work today and have realised that my poor buttcheeks are gonna need a bit of protection. What are the best undershorts to buy to wear under my regular workshorts? Also realised how sweaty a rucksack can make you and just wondering what are peoples views on panniers, are they a nightmare against the wind?

Lycra, dries quick. Change into shirt at work. Also where a courier bag, I ain't kidding. I went courier back in '09 and haven't looked back.

Also where padded shorts. Change lycra top and padded shorts at work. Store work clothes in courier bag.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    My DHB ones are decent (from Wiggle).

My Altura ones from Ribble haven't lasted and are currenlty back with the manufacturers being "considered" for replacement...
  • sketchley
    If your XL, XXL, or XXXL these are reduced somewhat at the moment. No really an under short but full "Lycra" shorts, could be worn under baggies though.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-earnley-cycling-shorts/
    --
    Chris

• godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I find these good for shortish rides (up to 15-20 miles). Designed for wearing under baggies.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=36574

For luggage I use a Carradice saddle bag (super C) and bagman support. I don't think wind resistance is a massive issue for commuting but a saddlebag is more aerodynamic if you are worried about that sort of thing.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Panniers come into their own with heavier loads eg laptops etc. For a bit of scoff and a change of clothes and some shopping, a rucksack is a no brainer - but make sure you get one with an air vent back which will eliminate most of the sweatiness issues; makes a massive difference. The rucksack keeps the weight off the bike where you notice it most.

When I do need to carry significant weight, I use Carradice Carradura panniers which are still UK made and excellent.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s74p37
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    Ok, thanks guys, plenty of advice to look into there.
    Question for DondaddyD, doesn`t the courier bag keep swinging round from the back, they seem bad enough for that just walking
  • sketchley
    Good courier bags have an extra strap to stop that.
    --
    Chris

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Courier bags - designed for couriers; stop start, easy access to contents. Rucksacks designed to be comfy on your back but contents less easily accessible. So courier bags best for commute if you keep stopping to post things but if you are just cycling from a to b, rucksacks win every time!

Note - I've been hillwalking for 25 years and never seen a single courier bag on the fells for good reason. IMHO, the purposes for which a rucksack are designed for hillwalking are pretty close to what you want for commuting hence it works.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    1) Buy padded undershorts with leg grippers

Some people get away without, but when they ride up the leg, it becomes bloody annoying and can be quite painful! :)

2) Look for undershorts with a proper waist band. They are a bit more comfy. I've got a couple of pairs of Endura coolmax (8 - Panel). Both do the job, but the waist band on one is far more comfy.

See: http://www.probikekit.com/uk/endura-cli ... horts.html

I'd recommend these in fact - I would have said get the DHB ones on wiggle for £7, but they've all sold out ;)