Pre-empting Traffic Lights

tommyd84
tommyd84 Posts: 10
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
Ok, here's the background. I'm an experienced cyclist in all aspects including commuting in cities and I'd say my anticipation and risk awareness is very good, I've never crashed or been hit by anything on the road in over 15years of cycling. One of the reasons is because I've developed 'safety mechanisms' on the road to cope with the abysmal cycling conditions in the UK. This is one really simple mechanism I have.

I anticipate traffic lights changing to green and move out beforehand. Just to be clear, I don't go smashing through red lights, I simply anticipate the change to green and start to move forward.

Obviously I only do this with junctions I am familiar with, but I do it because I genuinely feel safer! The last thing I want to do is push off when I have a 20t truck or bus on my right shoulder revving their engine impatiently, or have cars cut me up as they turn left!

I've noticed when cycling in Germany and the Netherlands that they often have cyclist traffic lights at junctions which change fractionally ahead of the main traffic lights to allow for an early escape. To me this confirms that what I do is actually correct (if illegal!).

What do people here think?

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I think this the idea of ASLs, they aget cyclists ahead of revving motor traffic where they can be clearly seen. Unfortunately the police choose not to enforce them so they are generally a waste of time.

I have often mentioned on here that the governmentin the UK, rather than wasting time with blue paint in the gutter, that they should make a meaningful contribution to cycle safety by implementing cycle only traffic phases at major junctions, or at least allow cyclists to head off 1st before the rest of the traffic sat behind....

In many countries across Europe cyclists RLJ by course, it's only here in the UK that people tend to get hysterical about it...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Ride fixed. Anticipation is a skill you soon learn but it's v.useful (motorists are supposed to use it to!)
    M.Rushton
  • SmellTheGlove
    SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
    My anticipation technique where possible - keep rolling but stay back a couple of car lengths (pedal against a brake for super-slo-mo). Accelerate on amber and you'll still be through on green with clear road ahead, those two cars/vans being well on their ways (if drivers aren't asleep like most outer London drivers at 7-30am). Ride SPDs and anticipation becomes second nature.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    I used to think of cyclists who do this as amber gamblers, and a danger, however for the first time in Plymouth the other week a cyclist just started before the lights went green, NOT actually pulling away but pulling off, if you get me, not only did he get ahead of the cars safely but he also was out of the cars way when the lights changed.

I thought "what a great cyclist", he did not jum the lights but was moving and goint just before green, so now I accept that a cyclist who jumps the abber and is ten feet into the lane is still a fool and deserves a ticket, getting moving is not a bad idea.

Oh and just because you have not had an accident in fifteen years does not make you a great cyclist, perhaps also just a lucky one :!: As some would say, don't get cocky remember, Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Brilliant till you meet an RLJing car or bike, or late amber gambler coming the other way. The euro analogy falls down cos their lights are phased to do what you do, ours aren't.

I'm not one for hanging round at green either tho esp if I can see when the opposite phased set is changing.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    When you are stopped by traffic lights you should have taken the primary position to disuade any left turning vehicles from overtaking and left-hooking you. To be able to get your foot into the pedal and get some speed, hence stability, before entering the junction it is recommended that you come to a halt with a couple of lengths between you and either the stop line or the vehicle in front of you. Start to move on amber and you'll be safely away without jumping the lights.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Sirius631 wrote:
    When you are stopped by traffic lights you should have taken the primary position to disuade any left turning vehicles from overtaking and left-hooking you. To be able to get your foot into the pedal and get some speed, hence stability, before entering the junction it is recommended that you come to a halt with a couple of lengths between you and either the stop line or the vehicle in front of you. Start to move on amber and you'll be safely away without jumping the lights.

THANK you, that I never thought of, being back a little so you can start off, and not in the kerb, I have learnt something here today.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    In many countries across Europe cyclists RLJ by course, it's only here in the UK that people tend to get hysterical about it...

Do they have the Daily Mail in other countries?
    exercise.png
  • tommyd84
    tommyd84 Posts: 10
    Sirius631 wrote:

Great point, taking primary is by far the best thing ANY cyclist can do when in any situation with under increased risk. Having said that, on large junctions I've still been cut up despite being in primary.
    I think this the idea of ASLs, they aget cyclists ahead of revving motor traffic where they can be clearly seen. Unfortunately the police choose not to enforce them so they are generally a waste of time.

ASLs are only safer if there is the infrastructure to support it (i.e. a clearly defined and mandatory cycle lane leading to it), if it is policed and if the cyclists are taught of the dangers in creeping up lorries on the inside. If these things don't exist you could argue they make it more dangerous to the inexperienced cyclist.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    You can take primary in London and a motor cyclist will still pull on on your right shoulder, having outside filtered and then turn left straight in front of you :D.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    I do this.

Set off SLOWLY when the opposite lights turn amber. By the time mine have turned green I'm 3 or 4 car lengths aways from the driver behind me and into a strong secondary.

Gotta look out for the amber gamblers from the other side though.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Moodyman wrote:
    I do this.

Set off SLOWLY when the opposite lights turn amber. By the time mine have turned green I'm 3 or 4 car lengths aways from the driver behind me and into a strong secondary.

Gotta look out for the amber gamblers from the other side though.

+1 but I also get to know the timing of the lights so I can set off just as the lights go green even without looking at them.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Changed route for the ride home to include a 50m climb and an extra mile, leg burned then turned to jelly. Got caught out by every light on Scotswood road. There's a shared use path on the pavement and the same woman overtook me each time I stopped. Got to learn the sequence so I can keep the pace up without getting caught out every 500m.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • bikeboon
    bikeboon Posts: 81
    TommyD84 wrote:

Can't agree more, an integral part of defensive cycling. As mentioned earlier ASLs don't work for not being enforced.

To add my 2 cents, I'd say it's important to stay away from the curb - in the very least to give oneself a room to maneuvre.

As tempting as it may be, avoid drifting in the city. Commuting is not a Giro.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Changed route for the ride home to include a 50m climb and an extra mile, leg burned then turned to jelly. Got caught out by every light on Scotswood road. There's a shared use path on the pavement and the same woman overtook me each time I stopped. Got to learn the sequence so I can keep the pace up without getting caught out every 500m.
    Yes, most of the Scotswood road lights got me last night. Must be a time thing where people are leaving work.

I'm assuming the woman on the shared use path was on a bike also and not walking :wink: