GT Aggressor Elite Build

yorkshire_man
yorkshire_man Posts: 85
edited June 2011 in Your mountain bikes
My first build so go easy on me. Loving the Enduro but wanted a fun light, cheap, good looking hardtail that i could stick a long travel fork on and have some fun with.

Scoured eBay for a bit spotted this spotless Aggressor frame for sale and bagged it for £170. Always have loved the look of a GT hardtail, love the rear end design and in this paint job i think this should turn out to be a nice bike.

Arrived this morning, absoulutely spotless, not a single mark on it. Came with QR and headset. not got any scales but damn it feels light!!! Very pleased with it!!!

Already ordered a 10 speed SLX Chainset and BB for it. Already got a saddle too, a brand new Ti Railed SDG Bel Air. And have a pair of black and white CB 50/50 x pedals for it. The rest of the spec i dont know what will be.

Thinking fork wise, Sektor Solo Air/Rev Dual Air with 20mm maxle. Wheels probably a Superstar built pair on some flows, with green hubs. And drivetrain a mix of SLX/XT 10 speed. I do have a Thomson post but too big so will probably look to sell / swap for a 27.2mm varient :)

This is going to be done as and when i can afford but wanting it finished in a couple of months so i can get some use out of it this summer and will probably be my main bike in winter :)

Couple of pics....

dsc00352y.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dsc00353z.jpg

dsc00354m.jpg

dsc00355kg.jpg

Comments

• joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    very nice... had one of these frames for a year.... loved it. Nice kit too... gonna look top.

think you got a bit of a bum deal though... Sold mine (admittedly slightly tatty) for just £55, and that wasn't without effort and many-a price drop. And I saw a mint one go for £65
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Admittedly it was more i wanted to spend on it and it does seem a lot for a GT frame, but its a spotless top quality frame and perfect for my needs and to be honest if it had a ragley logo stuck on it shops would be pumping them out at £200 + :p
  • joshtp
    OH, not doubting the quality... As I say, I had one, awesome frame... but simply because of the sticker it does sell cheap...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Very nice frame, I had one for a bit as well, served me well as a little aggressive hardtail, should build up pretty nice!

Josh is right though, you did pay a little over the odds for it, I got mine for £60 in very similar condition to yours, though I think £60 was a bit of a steal. Sold it about 6 months later for the same price!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bike now at LBS getting full SLX 10 speed drivetrain fitted with XTR gear cables, also nabbed some of them bargain Formula Oro's from CRC.

Just forks and wheels to get but using some cheap Tora's and wheels off Vulcan for the minute...
  • ilovedirt
    Sounds good, pics asap :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • yorkshire_man
    yorkshire_man Posts: 85
    edited May 2011
    Here we go then very pleased with how this has turned out, still got wheels and forks to buy as and when can afford but at least i'm rolling :p All in has cost just under £600 to do which aint bad at all in my opinion.

DSC00361.jpg

DSC00368.jpg

DSC00363.jpg

DSC00366.jpg

DSC00362.jpg
  • fattrucker
    fattrucker Posts: 39
    Good job there .
    Colour combinations work well together IMO .
    All in has cost just under £600 to do which aint bad at all in my opinion.

Betcha it won't end up costing ya £600 :wink:
    More like an extra £600 :lol::lol::lol:
  • Frame: Large GT Aggressor Elite
    Forks: Rockshox Tora TK 120mm
    Bars: Easton EA50 Low Rise
    Stem: Specialized 90mm
    Headset: FSA Internal
    Grips: TroyLee/ODI Lock On's

Front Brake: Formula ORO K18
    Front disc: Formula 160mm
    Rear Brake: Formula ORO K18
    Rear Disc: Formula 160mm
    Hoses: Formula

Shifters: Shimano SLX 10spd
    Cables: XTR
    Front Mech: Shimano SLX Triple
    Rear Mech: Shimano SLX Shadow 10spd

Seat: SDG Bel Air Ti
    Seat Post: Easton EA30 350mm
    Seat Post Clamp: GT

Cranks: Shimano SLX M660 175mm
    Chainring(s): Shimano SLX
    Chain: KMC X10
    Cassette: Shimano SLX HG81 10spd
    Pedals: Crank Brothers 50/50 x
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano Hollowtech External

Wheels: WPP ones from Carrera Vulcan, Formula Hubs (to be replaced)
    Tyres: Maxxis Advantage 2.1

Weight: not a clue
  • fattrucker wrote:
    Good job there .
    Colour combinations work well together IMO .
    All in has cost just under £600 to do which aint bad at all in my opinion.

Betcha it won't end up costing ya £600 :wink:
    More like an extra £600 :lol::lol::lol:

Very true, forks and wheels are biggest expenditure, looking at Sektor Solo Airs and a Superstar built pair of ZTR Flows...
  • jklash1987
    jklash1987 Posts: 136
    Realy nice build, and insperational :)
    I bought a 16" Aggressor XCR fram for £65 around january... Still half built atm due to work and other projects.
  • bobcheese
    bobcheese Posts: 343
    yorkshire_man, just wondering how it rides with 120mm fork fitted? I have an elite also but with 140mm stock revs. was under the impression the frame was made with specific geo for 140mm
  • Rides pretty well, though no doubt it will make it a lot better with a 140 fork up front. Having never ridden it with a longer fork though i cant say what the differance is.

Just ordered my wheelset. Set of Hope Hoops, Pro II Evo Hubs, ZTR Flow rims, should be here by next weekend :)
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    very nice and dont listen to the drivel.... I think 170 smackers for that frame (brand new) was a steal.... lovely colours to the frame as well. ENJOY :)
  • ilovedirt
    Rides pretty well, though no doubt it will make it a lot better with a 140 fork up front. Having never ridden it with a longer fork though i cant say what the differance is.
    I'm fairly sure the Aggressor frame is the same all the way down the range, it's just the spec and paint job that changes, and some of the lower models have 120mm forks.

That's a good looking build, should still be pretty capable with that fork and wheels anyway!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • joshtp
    the XCR and Elite share Identical frames... and the XC2 and XC3 share identical frames, the XC1 has a frame of it's own... the XCR/Elite is the only one designed for 140mm.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    joshtp wrote:
    the XCR and Elite share Identical frames... and the XC2 and XC3 share identical frames, the XC1 has a frame of it's own... the XCR/Elite is the only one designed for 140mm.

Are you sure? The 120mm suntours on a xc2 have the same axle to crown as a set of 140mm fox vanillas. I am running my xc2 with 140mm revs atm with no probs.
  • Got my Hoops fitted, what a differance they make! Not only look pimp but lighter than old ones. Just fork to get sorted then i'm done :)

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg
  • Got some RockShox Sektor 150mm Solo Air RL SL's off a Pitch. The decals go perfect, bike is now complete apart from a new rear skewer and seat clamp both Crank Bro's split clamps in green, bargain off CRC.

image2.jpg

image3.jpg
  • reevie25
    reevie25 Posts: 254
    Very Smart that and you wouldn't have thought you'd payed that little for it!

How are the wheels? I'm thinking of getting the same Pro 2 / ZTR Flow combo as you have. Where did you get them from, I was thinking Merlin Cycles would be the best option because they are handbuilt?
  • Hey cheers :) The wheels are built by Hope as there a Hope Hoops wheel set which i bought from a eBay shop, "fastpartsforbikes" which i didn't know until i ordered after was Dave Hinde cycles which has a very bad reputation. I however had a very good experience, bought and paid on the Saturday and i had them on the Tuesday after :) Paif £285 for them too which was the cheapest i found.
  • reevie25
    reevie25 Posts: 254
    ahh, I saw that deal, if they're built by hope then they should be well up to scratch regardless of who they are from! It's the cheepest I have found also.

Cheers
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i really like it!
    all the components are pretty much what i would have chosen for this build.
  • ilovedirt
    That looks awesome :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5