front shock set up

bluefudge
bluefudge Posts: 3
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
Hiya...very new and inexperienced to mountain biking. I own a Specialized FSRxc Comp with no additions except for grips and pedals.
I was wondering if anyone could help with respect to"twitchy" steering on rocky (ish) downhill runs. Been to Dalby on the red route a few times and I feel I have little control at high speed...in fact a couple of days ago I flipped off and dislocated my elbow.
Even just pushing the bike on a flat surface holding the seat the steering seems to collapse like a wet lettuce. Been looking at the Hopey damper but it's pricey.
Any info on setup would be helpfull, thanks.
5ft 9in height. Medium bike frame. 13.5 stone.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    how much sag have you got on the front?
    and the rear?

what fork?
    what shock?

or what year bike?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bluefudge
    bluefudge Posts: 3
    Rear sag...about 10mm on an X-fusion rear shock.
    The bike is a 2010 model.
    The front shock is a tora 302...I will have to measure the sag next time I sit on it and get back to you. I mid ranged the pre-load and the rebound setting as a start point.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Travel distance is relative, need to measure the percentage sag not the actual amount.
    And steering dampers on bicycles are pointless. Steering should bee loose, you have arms to keep it aiming where you want.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Have you checked the headset is tight and the wheel is true?
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    At 10mm you've only 8% sag, if you read your manual it probably says 20% or more.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bluefudge wrote:
    Rear sag...about 10mm on an X-fusion rear shock.
    The bike is a 2010 model.
    The front shock is a tora 302...I will have to measure the sag next time I sit on it and get back to you. I mid ranged the pre-load and the rebound setting as a start point.

is that 10mm of the travel or the stroke?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown