Good tyre recommendations needed please

Harry B
Harry B Posts: 1,239
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
I want some tyres which are:

1. lightweight;
2. zero rolling resistance (or as low as possible given than zero isn't actually possible);
3. puncture resistant; and
4. hard wearing

for a trip to Belgium.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've got a set of Rubino Pro tyres on my bike, and they've been great so far (and I'm a tart, so I bought the white ones) but I suspect that you'll get a lot of answers recommending the Gontinental GP4000. Another great tyre.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Michelin Pro Race 2's or 3's
    Vittoria Rubino Pro 3's as some places call em.
    Continental GP Attack/Force
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've always been a Vittoria fanboy, training on open paves, racing on Evo Corsasand TTing on Chronos.

The open pave are excellent but not quite as tough as other out there. But there's a toughness/rolling resistance trade off.

I have a set of conti Force Attacks that I haven't used for ages, I raced on them yesterday and they were fab. I used to think they were like hosepipes but I had a latex tube on the back and a conti supersonic tube in the front. They rolled beautifully, handling was razor sharp and they are tougher than the vittorias.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    The safe option is Gp4000s.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    yes indeed, GP4000s for me - seem to go nicely & handle well, and I have had no punctures in 2 years on mine (OK the mileage hasn't been that high, but it's definitely in the 1000s) despite my 13+ stone battering in and out of potholes, through stones & gravel etc.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    +1 for the Conti GP4000S.
    Although i am so far very impressed with my Michelin Pro Race 3s
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    Looks like its gonna be either the Michelin Pro 3 or the GP4000
  • 15peter20
    15peter20 Posts: 293
    Harry B wrote:
    no, go for the Rubino's. Tough as nails. Forget all the guff about rolling resistance - it's the realm of Emporer's new clothes.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    25mm PR3s if you can find them - you'll want the bigger air pocket for Belgian roads IME - slabs of concrete with washboard surface and big expansion joints.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    15peter20 wrote:
    Harry B wrote:
    no, go for the Rubino's. Tough as nails. Forget all the guff about rolling resistance - it's the realm of Emporer's new clothes.

1040 miles on terrible roads and a collision with a car and only one puncture on the rear. 25mm Rubino Pro 3's rock.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Alternately get these and blast the pave

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-open-p ... cher-tyre/