Never bottomed my fork?

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
100mm of travel .Prob mist it's got to would be about 80mm. It's only a shitty Suntour XCM-V2 fork. Is that why as the coil is just too stiff or is it 'coz I aint riding hard enough?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A lot of these forks only give advertised factory if you drop off a cliff. Sounds about right!

But how much sag are you getting?
  • concorde
    Not a lot. About 5mm in attack position when stationary?! I weigh about 11 stone 6???
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Maybe strip them down and service them. Might free them up a bit.
  • concorde
    Might have a look yeah. There's pre-load on them but I don't think it really does much!
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Is it a sign of impending riding-godhood to bottom out forks? I did on my XCR-LOs once and cracked a rib. I swapped them out for some rebas shortly afterwards and learned to stop riding like such a clumsy oaf. I'd be more disturbed to bottom out my forks these days and prefer to have a bit left in hand.
  • concorde
    Yeah. I think if I bottomed out mine the hit would be so big to do so I'd come off anyway!! Wouldn not fancy taking that hit unless it was landing a jump or drop but then I can't see it happening if the landing was smooth and two wheels at a time as it should be.