Which is the Best - SRAM Red or Shimano Dura Ace 7900 ?????

06townsonj
06townsonj Posts: 509
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I have the choice of two groupsets to put on the new Dolan Ares I am buying:

1. SRAM Red
2. Shimano Dura Ace 7900

What would you pick and why?

Comments

• tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    DA, very personal choice, i'm sure others will recommend red
    shimano feels better to me,
    red is becoming very popular due to lightweight but i think durability suffers,
    shifting is less precise (especially on the front), cranks dont feel as stiff, the shifting suffers more wear esp the cassette and chain
    recommend you trying Di2, very impressive system
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    Campagnolo Record :-)
    (Sorry, someone had to say it!)

Seriously tho' - both are good, probably mostly down to how comfy you find the hoods/levers and how you like the different shifting controls.
  • Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    RedJohn wrote:
    both are good, probably mostly down to how comfy you find the hoods/levers and how you like the different shifting controls.

+1
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    D A mainly because i have always had shimano and if it ain't broke don't fix it
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,903
    as a couple of people say above, choose on comfort, all high end groupsets are very good

i've got red, mainly for this, they fit my hands well and i like the double-tap shifting

the front mech seems very sensitive to alignment, much more so than shimano, took a while to get it just right, then shifting was fine
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    Red looks cheap and tacky imo.

DA all the way
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,903
    funny, i've always thought the same about da
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Doubt theres much in it - but my mate keeps fluffing his gear changes on his Red after using Shimano for years - so I'd say if you like shimano - stick with it.

Mr Schleck - are you listening ? :?:
  • lovestheclimb
    lovestheclimb Posts: 483
    sram have nice shape hoods and very comfy to ride on.
    sram red is good for around two years but due to the unique way of shifting it wears the parts a lot more than DA.
    if your going to get sram red get sram red black then put a sram force front mech on as sram red front mech is a bit flimsy.
    i would personally say DA though and i've ridden both, and DA is a lot more rewarding.
    as tri-sexual said Di2 is the nuts!
    in conclusion pick what you like the look of the most, they will both do the job with sram being lighter but DA being more robust saying that i don't know if your a heavy powerful rider but i snapped a DA crank drive side because of how hollowed out it is.
  • 06townsonj
    tri-sexual wrote:
    shifting is less precise (especially on the front), cranks dont feel as stiff, the shifting

Is the shifting less precise that Shimano Dura Ace on the rear?
    sungod wrote:
    the front mech seems very sensitive to alignment, much more so than shimano, took a while to get it just right, then shifting was fine

Are you saying Shimano Dura Ace is better than SRAM Red?
    dawebbo wrote:
    Red looks cheap and tacky imo.

How does SRAM Red look tacky?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Go by which hoods feel the best for you. Both are excellent. I'm not a fan at all of Campagnolo, particularly the thumb shift but it's the best looking.

One thing that I really prefer about DA is the fact the cranks are alloy.

One thing that p'd me off about red were the front chainrings. They're cack.. I replaced them with Stronglight CT2s and they are stiffer and shifting better.

The shifting on Red is amazing, no play whatsoever in the levers, and I personally find Sram hoods the most comfy. For that reason, I'm in.
  • 06townsonj
    NapoleonD wrote:

What difference does the Shimano Dura Ace 7900 alloy cranks make over the SRAM red Carbon Cranks?
  • Anonymous
    06townsonj wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

What difference does the Shimano Dura Ace 7900 alloy cranks make over the SRAM red Carbon Cranks?

The thing they are made of... :wink:

I find the DA cranks stiffer than campagnolo or Sram.

What's with all the bold?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    TBH I'd hold off until later in the summer and get the new Ultegra electronic groupset ,which is supposed to be the same price as mechanical Dura Ace.

FWIW, a frame manufacturerin the US reckons this is the best combination of SRAM components
    "Red shifters. Rival cranks/FD/brakes, Force RD(nicer bushings/bearings), KMC chain, Ultegra cassette."
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Anonymous
    Indeed! Wheels, groupsets, surprised finishing kit hasn't come up yet...
  • So its decided, some 2kg hand built Chinese wheels with SRAM Red in black with the yellow trim, fzik bar tape and a Garmin 800.

:wink:
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    As a convert to SRAM I'm really impressed with it both in looks and operation. The double tap system makes so much sense and as said, the hood position somehow makes it more comfortable when riding on them.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,898
    LangerDan wrote:
    TBH I'd hold off until later in the summer and get the new Ultegra electronic groupset ,which is supposed to be the same price as mechanical Dura Ace.

FWIW, a frame manufacturerin the US reckons this is the best combination of SRAM components
    "Red shifters. Rival cranks/FD/brakes, Force RD(nicer bushings/bearings), KMC chain, Ultegra cassette."

I wouldn't agree with the Force RD, Red has ceramic bearings in the jockey wheels, force doesn't.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • marksteven
    marksteven Posts: 208
    Dura Ace Baby !!!!
  • fortyone
    fortyone Posts: 166
    Simply get the most comfortable - as Sean Kelly said yesterday, it's not the groupset, but the motor.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I think the vote is conclusive... in that they are both top of the game.

Having used double taps, I wouldn't choose to go back to Shimano but at this level, there are no bad choices.

Buy what you think looks sexiest.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • 06townsonj
    Hi,

Thanks for your opinions! Anyone else?

SRAM Red is appealing more to me at the minute.