Alpe D'Huez TdF Stage - Advice needed

Cornish-J
Cornish-J Posts: 978
edited June 2011 in Tour & expedition
I'm going out to see the last three stages of the tour this year, just wondering if anyone has been out to watch the alpe dhuez stage?

I'm staying in grenoble and wondering how i would get out to the alpe dhuez - is there buses that would be running? and how do you get up the mountain? ski lift?

any help appreciated!

Comments

• goody-a
    goody-a Posts: 44
    the lifts don't go from the bottom- you will need to either cycle or walk up. From grenoble there is a train service and buses also I think; however your problem will be the road closures, from early morning on the day of the stage for motor vehicles, the roads stay open to pedestrians/cyclists and they don't stop people riding up until about 2 hours before the tour actually passes through.
    If you can be bothered go to the dutch corner (where the church is) half way up, for a really good water fight (unopposed) with the tour cars and their open windows and a carnival atmosphere. Beer and water are available at this corner (tap water is free) otherwise its the top of the mountain or bottom for supplies. There isn't much shade high up so take what you think you will need if its hot.
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    You could get a bus to Vaujany or Oz-en-Oisans (from Bourg d'Oisans or possibly Grenoble) and get the ski lift up to ADH from there. That would take you right up to the resort and finish. Depends where you want to watch it from I guess and if you'd rather be down on the hairpins.
  • Cornish-J
    i think i'd rather be on one of the hairpins actually - it's going to be a fair old walk!!

thanks for the advice guys, very helpful - any other comments would be more than welcome!
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Assuming your not taking a bike? How about hiring one in Grenoble and biking to the Alpe? You'll avoid all the traffic jams getting back to Grenoble.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    If you do decide to take a bike, you'll need to get there early if you want to actually ride up. My recent experience is that the plice stop you cycling hours before even the tour caravan is due - extremely frustrating!
  • Cornish-J
    I would like to cycle but going out there with my gf and she couldnt cycle up.

I'm suprised they dont run little mini buses up and down to help people get where they want to be.
  • wasp707
    wasp707 Posts: 116
    Bear in mind that estimates are normally in excess of 500,000 people on the Alpe watching. People start arriving a week in advance to get the best spots.
  • roadracedave
    roadracedave Posts: 107
    Just out of interest, where abouts in Grenoble are you staying? I am going down to watch the last three stages as well, but I am driving down with a couple of friends, so that we can take the bikes and drive to the stages.

I'm having some trouble finding accommodation though, admittedly we have left it a bit late, but we were going to go do Bordeaux then decided to go right the way down to the mountains. We've found a few hotels on the outskirts and in the surrounding villages, but none in Grenoble.