Pedal for Scotland - 100 mile sportive

Garryboy
Garryboy Posts: 344
Evening folks,

Im fairly new to cycling (about 3 months) but found it very addictive!

With exercise, ive found having an event to train for keeps me motivated and focussed on getting out/training - did this when running and always had a 10k or half marathon on the horizon.

Im looking at entering the pedal for Scotland 100 mile sportive, but im a little concerned I wont be ready for it.

Im getting out about 3 times during the week for an hour a time, typically doing about 16 miles

And one or twice at the weekend doing something similar to this;
http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/pnEy5Y-GlEA

Ive felt good improvement in the last couple of weeks with my average mph going up a little - any tips or pointers? Or should I aim lower and do the 51 mile route?

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    imho do the 51 mile event. Better to aim low and excel than aim high and get shot down.
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    The 50 miler is a nice relaxed affair. The 100 is slightly more serious but if you structure your training you will do it.

Just need to make sure you have a programme that builds up and peaks for you at the right time.
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Can't beat putting in the miles.... if you wanna do the 100 miler, then do 4 or 5 70 to 80 mile runs, maybe even a 100 so you can see what it is all about. Obviously build up to the longer runs...

Keep up a fairly high mileage week in week out. It is tough, but achievable.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Garryboy
    Thanks all

SuzyB know where youre coming from and also seen from your posts you had a stinker at the etape - commiserations - its that or taking a stupidly long time to finish that concerns me.

Happy to put in the miles, ive been trying to build up 10% a week or thereabouts, although im a little constrained as mostly need to be back before kids wake!

Any pointers on training plans, was thinking about the time crunched cyclist?
  • Gary, with your relative inexperience I too think you might be better off doing the 51 mile route. But that's not to say that with dedication you couldn't attempt the sportive.

Last year's event was my first sportive and I only managed my first near-100 mile ride in years (94.6 miles) exactly 2 weeks before PfS. Then I bought my new bike just a few days before PfS - not what most people would recommend as preparation!

I finished in a little over 7 hours, but could have been probably an hour or so faster. Firstly, thanks to the transport from Edinburgh leaving later than it could have, I just made it to the back of the sportive pack as it was setting off, and so wasn't able to benefit from being in a group of similarly-paced riders. I later stopped to help a guy with a puncture. He told me dozens of riders had gone past without offering assistance (something riders are asked to do by the organisers is help others) and by the time I'd done that, it had started to rain and I cramped up later as a result of that stop, needing to get some "magic spray" from the ambulance crew at the final feed stop.

But overall it was a fantastic day and by the time I had finished in Edinburgh I was feeling much better - especially as I then had only a short ride home! Hoping to do it faster this time. Sub-6 hours would be nice and hopefuly much better than that if I can get some decent weather to ride in over the next 3 months! :evil:

So yes, you can manage it with relatively little preparation but on the other hand I have been cycling most of my life and regularly do rides of 20-60 miles. So I recommend you steadily increase the length of your rides and aim to have managed at least one of the same distance as you decide to attempt for PfS (51m or 100m).

Whichever you opt for, good luck! :)

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    I did the PfS a couple of years ago at that time it was the longest ride I'd done, I found it easy enough that it encouraged me to go further faster, I reckon if I'd tried the 100 at that stage (not that it was available) it could have put me off as it would have been too tough. My time on the bike is limited by family and I'm only now reasonably happy to be facing the Trossachs ton next month. I guess I'm more or less agreeing with suzyb. But if you can fit in loads of training then go for it.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • I'm signed up for this one.. did the 51 miler last year with a bunch of mates and was driven insane by getting stuck behind really slow people seemingly incapable of cycling in a straight line and people who feel the need to ring their bell every 2 minutes.
    Anyone can cycle 51 miles, as proved by my friends who made it despite no exercise since leaving school and bikes that weighed about as much as they do.

Go for the 100 miler, and wave to me if you go past...
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    The 51 miler is a good ego boost for exactly that reason. There is always someone you can overtake lol
  • lmk1
    lmk1 Posts: 95
    i live in lanark in the middle of the country and as opposed to doing the 100 mile route i was considering cycling to the start completing the run and cycling home again. this would be about the same miles as doing the 100 but allow me to have a break and take my time getting home.
  • Garryboy
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm leaning towards the 51 miler as I am a bit limited on training time and I'd dont want to end up putting myself off cycling.

Will try to do a couple of longer runs over next two weeks and decide

Going to attempt my first 50 miler this weekend, although weather forecast not too great - wind and rain!
  • The forecast hasn't been good here for ages. Literally (and I mean literally )it has rained either every time I have stepped outside or whilst I've been miles from home. :roll: And the wind has been an almost constant companion.

Fingers crossed for a dry, calm day!

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)