Rotherhithe tunnel

pmorgan1
pmorgan1 Posts: 173
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
I know a few years ago there was a sign on the south side forbidding cycling on the main road. Last time I was there don't remember seeing it, but all cyclists that I saw were still on the narrow and more dangerous sidewalk.

Has the restriction been removed now?

Cheers.

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I would never ride in that tunnel. Even when I drive through it I wind my wndows up and close all the vents!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    It's a f*******g death trap! Stay out!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • pmorgan1
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    It's a f*******g death trap! Stay out!

It's not that bad to the point that I'd disagree (hey, it's not Blackwall tunnel). The concentration of fumes depends on a multitude of factors: temperature, wind, humidity, average traffic flow etc.

Took the tunnel a couple of times, and it was bearable. What surprises me is, I'd be less safe and would probably also end up inhaling more fumes if forced to ride on that narrow sidewalk, parts of which are unacceptably narrow.
  • miss_mystra
    miss_mystra Posts: 29
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I would never ride in that tunnel. Even when I drive through it I wind my wndows up and close all the vents!

agreed! my boyfriend was considering cycling to Canary Wharf via this route but it's horrendous enough in the car, it's a very narrow and windy tunnel, there is very little space to have cars and bikes alongside each other, altho the speed limit is only 20, i still wouldn't want to try it ever!

i'm pretty sure i read somewhere, that if there is an accident in the tunnel the police take it in shifts so they don't spend many minutes down there. The traffic is always horrendous too, whenever i go past everyone is queuing to get in. So imagine trying to weave through stalled traffic which wouldn't be quick as it's so narrow down there, would take ages in those horrible conditions! Might be ok now and then but i wouldn't do it regularly
  • jamesu
    jamesu Posts: 16
    I did it once in a fit of bravado, never again - it's not worth the lung disease. I look the road and took my lane. The limit is 20, and traffic speed in there is slow anyway. The gradient is tiny, you can easily keep up.
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    It stinks i am amazed with all the health and safety today its still open
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    jamesu wrote:
    I did it once in a fit of bravado, never again - it's not worth the lung disease. I look the road and took my lane. The limit is 20, and traffic speed in there is slow anyway. The gradient is tiny, you can easily keep up.

Keep up??!! I'd be draughting the cars in front and/or looking to overtake!
    Motorised traffic has to stick to speed limits, non-motorised vehicles (bikes) don't, so feel free to gun it all the way through. In fact, try to set the speed cameras off!

I think because it has two way traffic, the air doesn't get sucked out as it would if it was one way. The Blackwall Tunnel is about the same size but because it is one way the air is much cleaner.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • pmorgan1
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    jamesu wrote:

Keep up??!! I'd be draughting the cars in front and/or looking to overtake!
    Motorised traffic has to stick to speed limits, non-motorised vehicles (bikes) don't, so feel free to gun it all the way through. In fact, try to set the speed cameras off!

I think because it has two way traffic, the air doesn't get sucked out as it would if it was one way. The Blackwall Tunnel is about the same size but because it is one way the air is much cleaner.

That's the spirit I like! On a few occasions I took the tunnel don't recall anyone even _trying_ to overtake. The gradient there is very mild, maintaining at least 17mph on the ascent is not difficult at all.