Putting a normal bag on a Pannier / Pannier cargo net?

fingerbike
fingerbike Posts: 26
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
Looked a bit on tinterweb and not found anything, so here we are:
I've got a Timbuk2 Courier style bag that I use day to day.
I cycle to work occasionally, and am now moving closer to work so will now be cycling every day (25 miles each way down to 10 ) the bike I use has a pannier but I have no decent bag, tried a cheap basil bag that fell apart quite fast but gave me enough of an idea that I want to use a pannier bag for the commute.
As I already have a decent enough bag and don't feel like plumping up £90 for another bag, so looking to see if such a thing exists as a cargo net and some sort of rigid backing that mounts to one side of the rack, or a big pannier type bin (waterproof not essential) so I can pop the courier bag in there when riding to work and on days that I stop for shopping I can fill it with the shopping and wear the courier bag.

Comments

• I had a quick search and found this... probably not what you are looking for but it put a smile on my face.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yo ... skets.aspx

:D
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    I DIY'd one from a £5 roll of "non-slip" rubberized mesh from Maplins. I used small cable ties to "stitch" it. The material is very tough and slightly elastic, so gives very good shock absorption. It can be used as a basket mat or cover when not needed as a sack. It's also bright yellow, so helps with visibility. The only drawback I found was that it swings about and bumps into the tyre, so a bungee is needed to secure it against the rear carrier frame.

It's been on my bike 1.5 years, there's a few worn patches where it rubs the frame but it works well.