Snapped my Oakleys!

2»

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If oakleys are on the net at bargain prices - then they wont be genuine.

My oakleys are ridiculously good value if you look at the £ per wear ratio.

My M Frames that I wear in winter and at night were a bargain bought off a Pro rider. They're 12 years old or so now

My Halfjackets that I use for running and throughout the year as day wear must be 6 or 7 years old now.

My Radars that i use for sunny rides on the bike must be 4 years old now. All of them are immaculate cos I look after them.

Dont buy fake shases - how do you know they're blocking the UV ? And just because theyre dark doesnt mean they are blocking it. It could be worse than no shades as your pupil dilates more letting in even more nasty UV.
  • robdaykin
    robdaykin Posts: 102
    I have had M frames for the last 10 or so years. I had a bad crash 7 years back. The frame of the glasses was shredded, and the lens deeply gouged. Above the glasses they used 15 stitches to put the flap of skin back roughly in place, and about 12 below the eye. If I hadn't been wearing them I hate to think what would have happened. I can't remember the crash, but given where I was I was doing around 30mph.
    Insurance company replaced, no questions asked. I've still got them somewhere.
    Several years on, the hinge on the frame of the replacements started to pop out. I contacted Oakley, who charged me about £9 to replace them. Since they were out of warranty, they charged me the fee for the extended warranty, and replaced them under that. Which as far as I'm concerned is superb. They even organised for my local dealer to get the free post boxes in to send them back, so I didn't even have to pay postage.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    cougie wrote:
    If oakleys are on the net at bargain prices - then they wont be genuine.
    Depends how cheap you categorise "bargain".
    You can frequently find the, for a god 20-40 quid cheaper than in most shops.
  • Kib
    Kib Posts: 12
    I have a good collection of oakleys, for a few reason. Firstly I have always found they fitted me the best. Secondly I have had the cash to but them so why not? I have had some sent back for warrently reasons and alwasy found Oakley customer service excellent. I recently sat on my everyday perscription glasses. Vision express wouldnt help so I sent them back to Oakley who replaced them for a small cost. They could of said, unlucky fatty you broke them by a new set!
    Thirdly I have a set I leave in the car, a set of monster pups i think, your cheaper £60-80 set (obv compaired to radars/jawbones). Last time I rode Coedy Brenin I left my jawbones at the place we were staying so had to wear this other pair. On the second form last bit of rocky trail back to the centre, I went straight over the bars. The handlebar twisted and flicked back into my face hitting me clean in the left eye with the end of the handlebar with the bar end plug. I had a slight cut on my cheek bone but the Lens which had taken all of the hit, did not break, snap, shatter or even have a mark on them. Would anything else of taken that hit? I remember seeing the bar end coming back and thinking, great im going to be blind! Sold them for me!
    Like anything, if you can afford it, why not? I have nothing but good things about my glasses and wont get anything else. Appart from the fact the lifestyle ones are going a bit well weird really.

Kib
  • Anonymous
    Kib wrote:
    Like anything, if you can afford it, why not?
    I can afford many things that I definitely shouldn't buy - some of which could land me in jail! :D
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Regarding impact resistance, didn't some of the (old) Oakley marketing material used to show a pair of lenses that had been shot with a shotgun and were merely gouged (rather than shattered)? I remember the images, but can't remember exactly the detail. Apparently they also routinely demonstrate lens strength by hitting them with hammers etc.

The 'lifestyle' models probably aren't as robust, but the purpose-made sports glasses/goggles certainly meet very high impact standards.

They're also standard issue for the US military, which seems to be a fairly good endorsement!

I've worn various pairs of Oakleys for years, and wouldn't buy anything else.
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    I am an Oakley junkie of longstanding, i'll not bore you with the long list of Glasses and shoes and clothes i've purchased with that "O" on it over about the last 15-20yrs.

+1 for their UK customer service (someone posted above that its shut and now in Holland ?) I've broken glasses several times, normally you send them back with "10 Quid to get a years warranty" and they replace al the broken parts - which seems a good deal to me.

They also replaced all the internal workings of a Crush watch free of charge as its got a lifetime warranty( i didn't realise this when i sent it back) and last year replaced all the strap and back of the watch for about 20 quid....

I can't fault them - I'm just annoyed thaat they don't have an Oakley Vault down here, though its probably better for my bank balance that way !
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    anywhere i can get genuine ones for a decent price ?

Ebay is such a minefield for Oakleys.
  • PXR5
    As always you get what you pay for...

I've bought from Chainreaction but also from

www.shadestation.co.uk

Who sometimes have some good discounts - but most likely on the older styles - you aren't going to get a pair of FAST JACKETS cheap anywhere....
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • Anonymous
    PXR5, They definitely DO have incredibly impact resistant lenses, but they no longer seem to specify in which range.
  • PXR5
    PXR5, They definitely DO have incredibly impact resistant lenses, but they no longer seem to specify in which range.

Yeehaa

Is this what you're looking for ??

http://uk.oakley.com/innovation/optical ... protection

You need to search for the models that meet "ANSI Z87.1 standards for High Velocity and High Mass impact resistance"

I think originally Oakley really pushed hard on the technical characteristics with their marketing etc, over the last 5 years or so IMHO they've become a bit more fashion orientated - originally for example there were no Ladies Sunglasses.. though I don't want to appear to critical, they had my CV a few years ago but unfortunately nothing came of it.. :cry:
  • Anonymous
    That's kind of it. But I'm sure they used to specifically list which models were high impact protection models.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    PXR5 wrote:
    I
    +1 for their UK customer service (someone posted above that its shut and now in Holland ?) I've broken glasses several times, normally you send them back with "10 Quid to get a years warranty" and they replace al the broken parts - which seems a good deal to me.

Yes, its closed in Letchworth, I live in Hitchin and on occasion have handed Oakleys in for repair of post face plant glasses!.

I bought a pair of 4+1s for my partner last week and the shop, in Stevenage, said that all the customer services for Europe was in Holland and the Letchworth centre was closed, I can confirm that it is shut.

If you need to send Oakleys back the dealers will provide the packaging and send them for you.

As regards the prioce, they were doing 15% off for the summer!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Anonymous
    Can get ANSI Z87.1 glasses for £5. If by some miracle you break them, buy another, and another, another. ;)

Look for sports shooting glasses with this protection. Most state the same meeting or exceeding that standard.

Better quality and better looking ones can be had for £30.
  • jonnyashworth
    jonnyashworth Posts: 547
    oakley have a return to base warranty but i believe its lifetime for origonal purchaser just pick up a box from any oakley stockist pop em in and send em off. Did a pair of snowboard goggles 5 times in 2 seasons no worries.

Just ordered up a pair of Jawbones in matt blace with black irridium lenses and persimmon lenses (prescription) they were £315 in total but at least I will finally be able to see the trails clearly without squinting or eye stream YaY!!!
    would of cost another £120 to have the prescription lenses vented (you gotta draw the line somewhere lol)
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    deadkenny wrote:
    Can get ANSI Z87.1 glasses for £5. .

I did a search thanks to your post, £6.50 and perfectly suitable :)

thanks fella.
  • shx8000
    shx8000 Posts: 222
    love my oakleys. Bought a set of Juliets about 4 years ago. have a slight scratch on them, from where i dropped them, but other than that, they are as good as new. Don't wear them much now, as think i'm a little to old for the style. titanium frames with iridium lenses 8)
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    shx8000 wrote:
    love my oakleys.

Don't wear them much now, as think i'm a little to old for the style. titanium frames with iridium lenses 8)

Rubbish!

Get over yourself and stick them on your face :lol:

Go buy another pair of Oakleys 8)
    Richard

Giving it Large