Large guy who keeps on getting punctures

woisme
woisme Posts: 5
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have recently moved from road bike to MTB as I am a big guy, 6ft 5in and about 18 stone and wanted more stability. But mainly because I was always getting punctures. Since I have moved over to an MTB I have had fantastic rides with no punctures until now four weeks after I brought it. Now I have been getting puncture after puncture on both tyres. I have also been checking my pressures with a gauge carefully and inflating to the recommended amounts.

Is it my size that is causing these problems? If so, what solutions would you advise. Hope you can help.

Wo
Wo Is Me

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what type of punctures?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Where are the punctures on the tubes? On the outside as if a thorn did it, or on the inside as if the rim or rim tape did it? Also what pressure are you running? Sometimes you nerd more than the minimum pressures to avoid pinch flats.
  • sib321
    sib321 Posts: 11
    I'm exactly the same size and had exactly the same problem. Puncture every ride, or every other ride.

Puncture proof tyres helped - Specialized Armadillo.

Now I have UST with Stan's. Haven't been stopped by a puncture on this combo ever. Fitted them 2 years ago. Sweet!
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Well I'm 14 stone and have used 2.2 Continental Mountain Kings with protection and pumped to 40psi or thereabouts and generally don't get punctures from rocks (thorns is another matter).At 18 stone you would probably want to try 50psi and experiment from there. Don't know what tyre you have but if they are 1.8s or something try a bigger volume tyre and get a version with protection. Also if you do get a puncture I assume you are savvy enough to remove the cause of the puncture (assuming it is not a pinch flat).
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Stupid question, but I take it you check the tyre for the cause of the puncture a remove it before inserting the new/repaired tube? Sometimes the thorn or flint only just comes through, so it can be hard to find.
  • Gwaredd
    Gwaredd Posts: 251
    Panaracer supertubes 8)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1470

5 punctures in just under 2 years now - all of them slow & get home-able.
  • Use SLIME tubes if not using tubeles!
  • woisme
    They are on the inside of the tubes and outside. I have checked the tyres and rim. On both wheels it's the same problem.

What about Sludge or Slime tyres.. Are they any good?

Can I just say I have just joined Bikeradar and am well impressed with the response. What a great community. Thank you everybody.
    Wo Is Me
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    woisme wrote:
    They are on the inside of the tubes and outside.
    Ah, sounds like "snakebite" punctures - where the tube is pinched between the rim and the tyre on a hard impact, leaving two holes that look like, well, a snakebite.

Increase the tyre pressures by about 10PSI, they should go away.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    all of the above helps but possibly you also need to change your riding style.

When MTB'ing off road you need to lift your backside off the saddle when crossing gnarly terrain especially when descending at speed.

Too low tyre pressures or even the right tyre pressure but too much weight on the saddle result in the classic 'snakebite' (as already mentioned) when your weight compresses the rim against say a root or rock on the trail.
    FCN = 4
  • woisme
    Good advice about the ride style but I mainly use it on the road and that is where the punctures have been happening. Looking over the advice my tyre do bulge even though I have them at the recommended pressure of 60. Would tubes which can be pumped to higher pressures and therefore reduce buldge be a solution?
    Wo Is Me
  • Gwaredd
    Gwaredd Posts: 251
    If you ride on roads a lot, it might just be down to the simple fact that the hedgerows get cut this time of year, leaving lots of nasties on the road.

FWIW, I'm 6'3" & about 16.5 stone & I run my 2.35 Kenda smallblocks at 25psi front & 35psi rear with no problems. Never had a pinch flat in my life, not even at Afan.
  • woisme
    Gwaredd wrote:
    If you ride on roads a lot, it might just be down to the simple fact that the hedgerows get cut this time of year, leaving lots of nasties on the road.

FWIW, I'm 6'3" & about 16.5 stone & I run my 2.35 Kenda smallblocks at 25psi front & 35psi rear with no problems. Never had a pinch flat in my life, not even at Afan.

I would agree with you but the punctures are happening inside and out. Also I finger check carefully each time and nothing.
    Wo Is Me
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Do you have particularly narrow rims?
    A wider rim can reduce the chance of snakebites.

Or, particularly flimsy tyres? I can't remember off the top of my head what it was, but I know I've had tyres where the sidewall seemed to be made from tissue paper.
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    woisme wrote:
    They are on the inside of the tubes and outside. I have checked the tyres and rim. On both wheels it's the same problem.

What do you mean by on the "inside and the outside" - do you mean there are two parallel slit holes on the outside? If so that is a pinch flat and due to riding at too low a tyre pressure.

Also what tyres do you have on at the mo? Type and size? Are the rims new and in good condition too? (ie not rusty or full of bits)

Basically you shouldn't get punctures on a road unless you are banging into potholes instead of jumping them.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Or have a dodgy rim tape....