Carradice vs panniers?

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
After spotting a guy with a Brompton and rear Carradice saddle bag, its got me thinking; can I justify getting a Carradice saddle bag system when I love my Ortliebs?

What do people think of them?

Not only could I use it on my new Brompton but it could be a new aero solution for the roadie and be much lighter?

QR bag support for easy bike swap:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/carradice-bagma ... g-support/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/carradice-pendle-saddle-bag/

Its a similar price to the Brompton S Bag system, not sure this is going to need much justification..

Comments

• godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I went from rack + panniers to a Super C with QR bagman and I'm very happy. Weight on the bike is less noticeable and it looks sleeker too.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    I use the carradice barely saddle bag with QR bag support. can't fault it. The bag is great and any issues i've had with the QR support, carradice sent replacement parts.

The only downside i see is that the weight is higher up. Makes the bike feel different but no performance issues from what i have noticed.
  • iPete
    Superb, should take some of the torture off those windy days!

Gaz, what do you cram into the Barley? Need room for a shirt/socks/boxers & spare tube/lever/multi tool in the side pockets, manageable with 7 litres?

Could be a faff when I want to do a big shop mind, could keep the rack on I s'pose :?
  • gaz545
    iPete wrote:
    Superb, should take some of the torture off those windy days!

Gaz, what do you cram into the Barley? Need room for a shirt/socks/boxers & spare tube/lever/multi tool in the side pockets, manageable with 7 litres?

Could be a faff when I want to do a big shop mind, could keep the rack on I s'pose :?

I fit in
      Shirt pants socks watch 2x tubes pump 2x gas cartridges gloves glases case Spanners Pliers
    In the side pockets i keep
      Wallet Phone Keys allen keys tyre leavers change
    And I still have space left over. I went for the barely so that i could attach other things on top with the loops using toe straps.
  • iPete
    Thanks, might actually consider the Ortlieb Large Saddle Bag in that case. Doesn't look quite as retro but should do the job.

Want to pick up a Hope District rear light when winter returns and don't think that'd be possible with the Carradice.
  • gaz545
    iPete wrote:

Want to pick up a Hope District rear light when winter returns and don't think that'd be possible with the Carradice.
    Depends where you mount it and how much saddle post you have. I can just about fit in a magicshine MJ 818 on the bottom of my saddle post and for it to be visible from behind the bike.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I've got a Carradice SQR slim.
    Each morning I comfortably fit shirt, trousers (kept in Eagle Creek folder, approx A4 size) pants, socks, shampoo, deodorant, wallet, keys, mobile, pump, spare tube, levers, allen keys. Often a 600ml bottle goes in, and/or lunch, or a pair of trainers. Plenty of room, think it's about 16L.

Edit: Also have a SQR Glentress which would probably fit all you need if the shirt doesn't need to be absolutely crease free. It's only about 5L.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • iPete
    Thanks, great suggestion, just need to decide whether I want 2.7L or 5L capacity and see what works best on bromie/roadie. Luckily I don't need my shirts to look ironed!
  • gaz545
    iPete wrote:
    Luckily I don't need my shirts to look ironed!
    Roll your clothes and they won't get creases ;)