Norwich 100 2011

2»

Comments

• Robbie1958
    Robbie1958 Posts: 148
    it was not a race for me, and i suppose people have their own agenda's and some may see it as a race. for me it was about setting an initial goal of seven hours and seeing if i could get in within the time. I don't think there is anything wrong with setting realistic goals in any sporting activity, even more so in endurance events.They even ask you beforehand how long you think it is going to take you. thats why they give out time slots.
    Colnago..............The name on the worlds finest bikes
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Please excuse my ignorance but....
    What's the difference between a Sportive and a Charity ride?
    The comments so far within this thread suggest many people were attempting to ride the course in the quickest possible time. Define that how you will.
    I did hear the odd shout of "it's not a race" as our group scythed it's way through the traffic on our way back into the city!!

In real terms, the difference is minimal, probably the biggest difference is one raises money for a charity, and one raises money for a private enterprise..

It isn't a race, neither are, you ride it how you want to ride it, there are no winners or losers.
  • jimbob_1978
    jimbob_1978 Posts: 158
    Me and my training partner finished it in 5.12, was aiming for 5 hours so was pleased with that time given the wind and only 2 months training. My first proper event and have really been bitten by the cycling bug. Gonna keep up the training and aim for a 4.30 next year. We couldn`t help but race, you see a group up the road and you cant help but chase them down and over take, its a great feeling to look over your shoulder and see a whole string of riders trying to hang on.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    As Dan has pointed out, it isn't a race, but it is a challenge and consequently a lot of people ride it hard and want to be as fast as they can over the line... Nothing wrong with that.
    Putting a number on my back didn't help! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!