Attacked by cattle on bike. Advice please?

pauli
pauli Posts: 59
edited August 2011 in Campaign
Last July I was cycling over Burgh Marsh near carlisle on the road when what I thought was a bullock(no udders) ran at me in the road and kicked me off the bike. While I was unconsious it trampled my bike and wrecked it. I had 2 witnesses who provided statements. the police refused to come out as they said it wasnt a police matter. I contacted the Burgh Marsh comitee who looks after many different farmers cattle on the marsh and they said
" is the animal ok, and if you dont like it get a solicitor." I got a solicitor and last week they told me that they would not persue the case any more as the witnesses said it was a cow which is not classed as dangerous.I was attacked and dont give a monkeys what it was. If I was bitten by a pit bull or a labrador its still a dog. If I was knocked off by a jag or a mini its still a car. This route is part of the Hadrians wall walk/ cycle route and if it was a child it would be dead. Why should Ann Patinson( secretary) and the Burgh Marsh Comittee get away with this. My solicitor went along with the dangerous animal route and lost, and need to know if there are any other avenues I can take and would love these people not to get away with this. If they had any decency they would have replaced my bike, and thats all I wanted. But they havent.

Comments

• fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    did you get its name?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Last July. Whatever it was it'll be steak by now; I'd count that as a moral victory.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,585
    You'd presumably have to prove who owned the cow in question as I would guess the area is used by several farmers. So unless you got tag information or anything at the time I suspect you are going to struggle. It's not really for the Marsh committee to deal with I wouldn't have thought.
  • pauli
    pauli Posts: 59
    An Evertonian that thinks he is funny, how predictably boring.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    pauli wrote:
    An Evertonian that thinks he is funny, how predictably boring.

not as funny as you must have looked getting stomped on by a.......................cow! :lol:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    The owner of the cows / field is liable for ensureing that his livestock are contained, dangerous or not.
    Have you talked to the CAB ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    Hahaha.

Daisy and Buttercup's statements didn't hold up?
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Pross wrote:
    You'd presumably have to prove who owned the cow in question as I would guess the area is used by several farmers. So unless you got tag information or anything at the time I suspect you are going to struggle. It's not really for the Marsh committee to deal with I wouldn't have thought.
    Then when proved the ownership of cow you would have to prove:
    1.Owner owed you a duty of care
    2. That duty of care was breached
    3. you suffered loss as a result of the breach of duty.

Point's 1 and 2 may be difficult to prove and indeed that seems to be my reading of what your solicitor is saying
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Pull the udder one.

Welcome to the countryside!
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    dilemna wrote:
    Pull the udder one.

Welcome to the countryside!

I think he should moo-ve on
  • Xommul
    Xommul Posts: 251
    If you seek civil advice from a solicitor they can do all the hoof work for you and pursue the claim on your behalf.

Part of the licencing conditions of farming make it lawful to ensure that tey have pubic liability insurance.

If you find the owner they will pay out.

Did you report it to the police?
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
    Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
    Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Advice for someone being attacked by cattle on a bike.

Simple. Don't let cattle have a bike in the first place........

Bob
  • Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    What a caring lot you are :(
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite