Play in rear hubs

robst3
robst3 Posts: 145
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have 2 hardtail mongoose bikes, both with basic Formula hubs. And BOTH have play in the rear hub after minimal use :( .

I have taken the hubs apart, cleaned them out. greased and refitted the ball bearings and tightened them, the play was improved but still there slightly. After one ride today the play is back again on both bikes! The front hubs are fine however...

Is it time to upgrade to new hubs or is this fixable?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you are not locking the lock nuts correctly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • robst3
    Hmm, one of them was taken to the LBS to do last time, would have thought they would have done it properly... Will take them back and see what they say...

Thanks
  • do the hubs have cones?? if so you need to tighten the bearing then make sure that the lock nut us tight so that the bearing cones cant spin loose when being used........if you have done them yourself (and please dont take offence when i say this) it is very likely that unless you have a good set of cone spaners you arnt getting the lock nuts tight

cone spanners: http://images.izideal.com/img/product/11216621/l/uk/parktool-cone-spanner-scw.jpeg

rob
    I recon im the tinyest horse you will ever see
  • robst3
    Hey yes they have cones! I think you must be right as I can't see any other reason for them getting loose during riding. I did have some trouble holding the cone whilst tightening the lock nut on one of the wheels (tool I was using was a bit thick) so took it to the LBS to do - still came loose after riding though! Maybe they made the same mistake...

Thanks for the advice, and no offence taken! :oops:
  • if your lbs have done it i would expect them to have a set of cone spanners and have the ability and knowledge to adjust the bearings correctly so i would take the bub back and ask them to try again and also get the bearings checked for wear, if you do want to do your own bearing adjustements on hope hubs i would definatly spend the money and get a set of cone spaners

there is a good guide on cone hubs here http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html as you can see the flats are tiny therefore you need the correct tools to adjust
    I recon im the tinyest horse you will ever see