Rubbing brake-Need to re-align?

LondonMTB
LondonMTB Posts: 79
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Quick basic question. Hoping to get out on my bike today, but taking it on the road so changed to slicks.
Problem was, rear brake lever accidently squeezed when wheel out...Have got pistons back to what looks right, but now the disc is rubbing against the 'inside' pad. I've tried adjusting the tightness/looseness of each end, but it's not enough. The disc doesn't appear warped. The rub is enough to stop me doing the ride I was planning on doing today, possibly enough to stop me riding at all until it's fixed. LBS is closed :(

Do I need to re-align the calipers? I'm evidently not experienced in these things, & don't want to make it worse! I've read various threads, & not sure what's best to do next...

Anyone in Sevenoaks reading this feel free to pop round & help me!! Desperate to go out on bike today, need to train for charity ride next weekend!!!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Push the pistons home and then apply the lever a few times.

go ride. they will sort them selves out after a few applications.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bikerguy15
    Bikerguy15 Posts: 119
    As stated in the response above, you need to push the pistons back in with something flat. Put the wheel back on the bike and hold the brake down whilst tightening the bolts slightly. This will "reset" the oil in the callipers and you should be able to make further improvements to centre the pads.[/quote]