Fitting fork - How to avoid play in headset?

shoddy
shoddy Posts: 63
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
I recently fitted some new forks and i have a small amount of play in the Aheadset.
Are there an tricks to avoiding this?
To install i tightened up the top cap, then the pinch bolts on the stem, and then slackened the top cap until the steering was free enough to ride with. Is this technique correct?

Had a look in FAQ but couldnt find anything.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    shoddy wrote:
    Hi all,
    I recently fitted some new forks and i have a small amount of play in the Aheadset.
    Are there an tricks to avoiding this?
    To install i tightened up the top cap, then the pinch bolts on the stem, and then slackened the top cap until the steering was free enough to ride with. Is this technique correct?

Had a look in FAQ but couldnt find anything.

nope. adjust the top cap till no play.

tighten stem bolts and ride.

you have fitted the crown race to the fork?

you have used the correct amount of spacers to allow the top cap to clear the steerer to allow you to preload the bearings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • shoddy
    Havent installed the race. Just took old forks out then put new in.
    Yes spacers installed to allow top cap to pull on spangled nut.
    Problem i had was i tighten top cap and remove all play, but then the fork steerer is too tight to allow steering.
    Sounds like i was doing tings in the correct order anyway.
    Will have another go at it as soon as i get chance.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will need to take the race off the old forks and fit it to the new forks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    shoddy wrote:
    Havent installed the race...

Sounds like i was doing tings in the correct order anyway.

No, you were not. You need to install the crown race on the new fork.
    Then to set the bearing preload, you thighten the topcap just enough until the play has gone, then tighten the stem bolts. That's it. Don't loosen off the topcap afterwards, or it will just vibrate loose and you'll lose it at some point.
  • shoddy
    all fixed! Thank you for your help