8 speed to 9 speed conversion

Niffleman
Niffleman Posts: 87
edited May 2011 in The workshop
Dear all,

I have a flat bar Bianchi hybrid with V brakes, a triple chainwheel and an 8 speed Sora set up at the back. I am thinking of converting to a 9 speed at the back with a nine speed Tiagra R 440 flat bar shifter, a new cassette and a nine speed chain. Can I use my existing rear mech? Will I need anything else?

Thanks for your advice,

Niffleman

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nothing else needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Niffleman
    Thanks for the quick answer.

I had another thought when I was pricing up the shifter on the internet. The Shimano MTB nine speed shifters are a bit cheaper than the Tiagra flat bar one, but I am pretty sure they will do the same job. Can anyone confirm that before I place an order?
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    MTB shifters will do the same, both front and rear.
  • Niffleman
    Thanks for that advice, I'll go ahead and order, you've saved me a bit of money.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you may have shifting issues with the front mech if you use an MTB shift with a Road mech and if you use a MTB mech you may have issues as well due to the ring sizes.

MTB front shifters do not have any trim function and the cable pull is different over the full range.

but I do use an MTB shifter with a road front mech on an MTB but only for two rings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown