Scumbags - Someone tried to nick my bikes last night

fossyant
fossyant Posts: 2,549
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Last night some scroats tried to get in my garage.

Woke up this morning and noticed the glass missing from the garage window. The thieves had carefully removed all the wooden beading, then the glass. Why they did not spot an additional perspex panel and steel bars I do not know.

They broke some of the perspex to have a look inside as the window is also covered by a net curtain. The security lights had all had their sensors turned away and bulbs disconnected. The garage also has a side door, but it is of no use as its permanently bolted and you can't open it even from inside. The main up and over has additional locks and can't be opened from inside.

Had they got in, the bikes are all dlocked to the ground or wall.

Just worried now as they have seen what's in there. Just hope they thought they could get in, then open the doors from the inside - it's not going to happen.

Additional bars have been fitted to the window, and side door, and alarms fitted. So much for a rest day.

Swines... grrrrrr

Comments

• shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Scrotes, did you report it?
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    By all accounts if they try a first time, they wait a few weeks and return. Hope I'm wrong, but be careful out there.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • fossyant
    Yes reported, and doubled up fort knox.

Added additional window an door bars, car up to up and over..and have an alarm.

Oh, and I'll make sure the claw hammer is near my bedside...... :twisted:
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Little sods! Great security though! Makes me think I should beef up my single garage lock and unprotected glass window. :oops:
  • stardude
    stardude Posts: 255
    fossyant wrote:

nahh, not the claw hammer, would be considered as picking it up as a weapon. what you really want is one of those huge Mag-lite torches, with the d-batteries, now that make a good club, but is a torch not something picked up as a weapon ;)
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    My unfortunate experience is that they will be back, better equipped. Should they successfully rob you, they will wait 6 months for the items to be replaced and try again. The only thing you can do, which you have, is to beef up the security you've got and be vigilant.

You have already had your revenge on the skinwastes though, as you have a decent life. They are useless crack-addicted scum whose lives are miserable and usually short, and quite right too.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Never nice when someone tries to nick your stuff. First, my bike got stolen from the garden shed. Needless to say, nowhere near as secure as yours. Soon after, house was broken into but nothing was taken.

All you can do is make it as difficult as possible for them and hope that they move on to their next 'fix'.

Get a great big German Shepherd. They make great pets too.
  • fossyant
    navt wrote:

The 3 cats might be a bit peeved !
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    fossyant wrote:
    navt wrote:

The 3 cats might be a bit peeved !

Train them to become ninja cats then, make them useful :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Ultimate security....

Unlucky with the attempted break in, sounds like you've done an excellent job of fortifying the place though. Here's hoping they think it's too much effort and don't come back.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    And to think, were you to wire up those internal bars to the mains, which are behind both glass and perspex, even if you had a big sign saying 'these are connected to the mains', you'd get done.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I think you can get standalone digicams that trigger off movement. I'm thinking that, cunningly hidden, such a thing could be very useful along with a PID-triggered light inside the shed if the worst happens and the little bastards get in?

EDIT: Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-DVR-U8-USB-DISK-HD-Spy-Camera-Motion-Detection-Cam-/120705870124?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1aa1692c
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    You have to try to think like a thief. He will attempt to rob you despite lights, cameras and alarms if he thinks he can get in, grab the goodies, and get away before anyone responds to the light and noise, and if he is wearing a hoodie, will not be bothered by your camera. Making it obvious that he will need to spend some time may deter him, in conjunction with floodlights, alarms and cameras.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    stardude wrote:
    fossyant wrote:

nahh, not the claw hammer, would be considered as picking it up as a weapon. what you really want is one of those huge Mag-lite torches, with the d-batteries, now that make a good club, but is a torch not something picked up as a weapon ;)

It would only be classed as arming yourself if you go out of your way to pick something up, even a mag torch - if you have a hammer at your bedside, because say you were putting up a hook that evening (I'm putting up hooks in my house every evening officer ;) ) then it isn't classed as picking up a weapon. Basically, you haven't specifically gone out of your way to arm yourself, your OK.

At least that is what I was told by some Police when our car was knicked off our driveway years ago. :(
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Oh for God's sake.

D LOCK the ****s

Am I the first to think of this? :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    Most times they will come back maybe when your out how many bikes have you
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    What you need is a secret bike room hidden behind an old bookcase.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • sketchley
    bails87 wrote:
    What you need is a secret bike room hidden behind an old bookcase.....

Oooh - my dream house now has three requirements......
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    tobermory wrote:
    Most times they will come back maybe when your out how many bikes have you

If you have lots of bike chaining them together would be a good idea. Particularly if it then means getting them out the door / window would be impossible. A security consultant friend of mine use to say similar thing in that it's just as important to make it hard to escape with your stuff as it is to stop them getting in, in the first place. e.g. don't leave keys in back of doors or on hooks near by so they have to go out the way the came.

One of these bolted to the garage floor would be a nice touch, http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.php?pro_code=Add2 double security.

or even some anchor posts http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.php?pro_code=Lock17
    --
    Chris

• noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    stardude wrote:
    fossyant wrote:

Hmmm.... I live in Lewisham so any person attempting to break into my place, especially while I am at home I would consider more than likely capable of attempting to stab me or someone in the family. I have a 4 foot Braveheart sword next to my door. Of course I would give the suspect the warning into doing a 180 degree turn and walking away but if they still decided to embark on their chosen course of action well...... I've swung a cricket bat in international competition before so I am pretty sure I would give them something to regret.

I hope they leave a forwarding address for any body parts they choose to leave behind.
  • fossyant
    PS the hammer is in my room as I was putting up a picture for my daughter.

Bikes are all d-locked to a ground anchor.

No sign of a return, next door's car and one down the road was done though.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I keep an aluminium baseball bat next to my bed. It is also next to my baseball glove, a tennis racket, kites etc
    In my car I keep a big Maglite type torch under my seat. You know, incase I need to look under my bonnet when its dark

All have legitimate reasons for being there, all handy if it gets a bit 'sporty'.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Er live in the country so lots of guns around the place :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.