Supportive shoulder brace to use after breaking collarbone

Konalisa120
Konalisa120 Posts: 52
edited June 2011 in Health, fitness & training
Hey all

I broke my collarbone recently, seems to be healing fairly well but the overriding problem is some slight weakness in the ligaments/muscles. I have been looking into whether there are any suitable shoulder braces which may offer support when riding and found this one: http://www.dirtbikebitz.com/2011-evs-sb ... p-262.html.

Seems that this brace is more for rotar cuff injuries but thought it still may provide some support. I've seen some reviews and they mention that the brace pulls the collarbone down so wouldnt want to be wearing anything which would hinder my healing at this stage.

Anyone got any thoughts or suggestions?
"office jobs suck"

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    IMHO always better off taking it slower and letting things heal naturally. Bit like welding, the repair will often be stronger than the original.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jacko1
    jacko1 Posts: 10
    Broke mine 4 weeks ago and had plate and pin surgery 2 weeks ago, prior to surgery was wearing a shoulder jacket which helped loads, made of neoprene, only tried wearing it again yest but its rubbing on my pins, will adapt or line with sponge on that area. Easily found on google.
  • Steve0843
    Steve0843 Posts: 187
    I'm ride a bit of downhill so have had the compulsory type 3 separation (the really bad one)

I was really lucky to have an experimental doctor who was also a boxer / triathlete etc...

He gave me 6 weeks rest but 'out of sling time' after 4 weeks (just moving it about)
    Then some range of movement and exercise band work (the girls one) for 2 weeks.

After 8 weeks (the usual total rest time) it felt good and I got to road riding and some really light rotator and press exercises that seemed to speed it up and I was back training fully after 12 weeks, cutting 2 months off my projected total recovery time.

That was 4 years ago, I have never had movement or range problems and it's just as strong as the other shoulder in the gym.

On an aside (i wasn't convinced) I had to eat loads of cherries and a high protein diet combined with having a magnetic pad strapped to it for 8 weeks and a gauze with silver laced into it (called an AU pack). I can't say if it made any difference.

Hope you get better quick whatever happens.
  • aaronmroach
    aaronmroach Posts: 341
    Try one of these!!! Vulkan Double Shoulder Support. Google it theyre not cheap tho!!!!