Just got a Specialized Hardrock Disc

boxcar182
boxcar182 Posts: 6
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
hi all,

i havent road a bike for years, but wanted to get an entry level MTB .
i got me hardrock disc today and took it straight for a ride, i noticed that when im not on the bike the brakes are sharp, but when im on the bike and brake they seem to take a while to stop, is this standard practice? and also when i change the gears it struggles to go onto the 3 tier on the front (i havnt a clue what u call them).

as you can see my knowledge is pretty poor of MTB so need as much help as possible. thank you :D

Comments

• toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    Welcome to the club, I can not answer your questions as im new myself, I am also suffering a break issue atm.

Hope you enjoy your new bike.

Did you get a black one or the red and white?
  • philcube
    philcube Posts: 45
    welcome boxcar182, your brakes will need time to bed in before they reach their optimum performance, so i wouldnt worry, the amount of time they take will depend on what type of riding you're doing, i.e. if you ride a trail where you need to be on and off the brakes constantly, then they will bed in quicker than on a route where you dont use them as much.
    as for your gears, your front cogs are called chainrings, and i assume you're having trouble getting onto the largest of the three? this could be caused by a number of things- cable tension, front derailleur not mounted straight, limit screw(s) not set correctly etc. there are videos on youtube that can explain how to sort it, or maybe in the workshop section of bikeradar website, or seeing as you only got it today, nip back to the shop and they should sort it for you free of charge.
    enjoy your bike, now go get it mucky!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Hardrock is a great bike, I have still got mine for winter riding.
    If you have the Tektro cable brakes they may just need to bed in or you might need to adjust the caliper. There is a socket head screw on the back of the caliper which adjusts the pad contact.
    Have a look on this website for tips
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... djustments

Enjoy :D
  • boxcar182
    boxcar182 Posts: 6
    Hi guys, thanks for all the advice I managed to get hold of the company who I got the bike from and they r gonna look at it tomoz'. Once again cheers all great advice.