Pro II freehub removal

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,664
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
HiGuys

I was planning on giving my Pro II freehub a bit of a clean and tidy since I ve not done it for such a long time but it's gotten so bad that I can't get the freehub off by hand - the end peices were so stiff I had to lever/pull them off with pliers so I imagine the same thing has happened to the freehub

Does anyone have any tips? put it in a vice and pull like crazy perhaps?

Cheers
DaveK
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    you answered your own question :lol:
  • ddraver
    fair enough! I have nt got a vice though :(
    - @ddraver
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    the hope video says pull with a bit of a twist.....

you might need to give it a bit of heeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuurhhhhhhhhhhhhgggggghhhh though! :wink:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • ddraver
    yeah, I ve given it all the heurhgh I can, there comes a point where the friction of my hand on the metal just is nt enough!
    - @ddraver
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    mmm

should come off fairly easily....

its really only held on by the seal....and the coupling to the pawls....

tried a whack of WD in there?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just pull with an anticlockwise twist.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    Put the cassette back on and tighten the lockring, then you can get you fingers behind the largest sprocket.
  • ddraver
    found a friendly LBS to try the vice - did nt work - had to hammer out the axle in the end but all good now - it was full of horrendous black cr*p that took asges to get out! Still got a nice new (much less grease filled), noisy hub again....yay!
    - @ddraver
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Just in case anyone comes across this in future, this approach should shift it with ease...

First, have a tyre fitted. Get some wooden blocks that the tyre (NOT the rim) can sit on
    Put the biggest ring/rings of your cassette on (makes it easier to get a good hold than using a whole cassette)
    Put the wheel on the blocks.
    Stand on the tyre
    Pull up on the cassette from a squat

You can put a stupendous amount of force on like this with ease.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I found I had to give the cups a tap with a hammer to get them to loosen the free hub.
  • ddraver
    cee wrote:
    mmm

should come off fairly easily....

its really only held on by the seal....and the coupling to the pawls....

tried a whack of WD in there?

I think it was the inner race of the bearing/bearings had corroded (or whatever) slightly and seized onto the axle. When i got the freehub off the axle was very dirty indeed. the freehub started to budge with just a few hammer taps to separate the two bits of metal, then I could pull it off...
    - @ddraver