Giro on ES HD - is it true HD ?

cougie
cougie Posts: 22,512
edited May 2011 in Pro race
The picture quality doesn't seem as good as say last years tour of California ? Is it worth me using extra hard drive space recording it on the HD channel or would I be better recording the usual channel ?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited May 2011
    Not true HD.

Rai are pretty much the only broadcasters who don't do HD.

All the classics (except MSR) and the tour are true HD. They look STUNNING!
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Although it aint true HD it is upscaled, and looks a damn sight better on my large screen than the terrible SD picture.

I'd record the HD channel every time! SD is dreadfully grainy.
  • Anonymous
    Scrumple wrote:
    Although it aint true HD it is upscaled, and looks a damn sight better on my large screen than the terrible SD picture.

I'd record the HD channel every time! SD is dreadfully grainy.

Same here.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    It isn't in 5:1 either - suppose the helicopters would sound better if it was?? :shock:
  • cougie
    It's a pity - would be stunning in real HD.
  • Anonymous
    It would. The tour certainly is. Cancellara's famous descent in 2009 in the pyrenees was sublime.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Eurosport also available in 3D now but sucks pretty hard when not using 3D + HD cams etc...

Eurosport_3D.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Ooh, I'd like to see the Tour in 3D :)

Shame I had to cancel my full sky package so don't get the 3D channels now :(
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Am I the only one who thinks 3D is all a bit meh? I watched some football in 3D and the Masters golf and didn't see the point. Films like Avatar I can understand but not sport
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Am I the only one who thinks 3D is all a bit meh? I watched some football in 3D and the Masters golf and didn't see the point. Films like Avatar I can understand but not sport

Spot on with that i bought a 3d TV at the turn of the year and hardly ever watch the 3d anymore, the football in particular is nothing to get excited about don't know about golf as i have no interest in it but films are worth watching.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    I've only watched one 'proper' film in 3D having seen a lot of those mini films you get at theme parks. I could never watch the mini films properly andd put it down to them being cheaply made. However, the same happened on the proper film I watched, I get a distorted image much as you get when watching without glasses. I think it must be down to the imbalance between the sight in each of my eyes - one perfect and the other can just about read the 3rd line on a sight chart. Seems very gimmicky in a lot of things anyway but I would like to do gaming in 3D.
  • I am pleased I spotted this thread. I was watching the Tour of California on ITV4 last night and said to the wife that the picture quality was way better than the Giro on E/Sport HD. Now I know why!
    Allez 16 - bad weather / turbo trainer
    Tarmac Expert SL3 - test colours
    Dogma 2 - ex Team Sky
  • cougie
    Yes TOC was excellent quality - and good to have the choice of two channels to watch it on.
    ITV seem to have a hell of a lot of advert breaks ?