Got hit by a car while on the bike. Any advice?

bikeboon
bikeboon Posts: 81
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
The driver has failed to stop when turning into the main road at a T-junction and has fled the scene after the police had been called (did they have a reason to avoid the police?).

Got the reg, got witnesses, police aware. Am fine, but the bike is no longer suitable for riding mainly because of the car passenger kicking and throwing it against the pavement in what followed the incident.

Any specific advice (besides the exclamatory comments and condolences) is appreciated.

Comments

• tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    Sorry to hear about that i hope you are ok that's the main thing.
    Are the police going to follow this incident up? if they are you will i guess you will have to wait and see what happens.
    I myself have been polished off by a dog running out in front of me.And i have just had my elbow reset with a plate and a nice pin in my lower arm bike totalled but i live to fight another day.
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'd start with the sticky at the top, although the following incident sounds disgraceful and really hope the police are following this up?
  • bikeboon
    iPete wrote:
    I'd start with the sticky at the top

Duh!

(...reaches for his reading glasses...)
  • bikeboon
    Been told the police won't do anything as there were no injuries. Fantastic.
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    bikeboon wrote:

Bl00dy marvelous :roll:

Do you have legal cover on your home insurance (or do you have bike insurance?) If so, get in touch with them. You may need to pursue the driver through them or the small claims court...

Are you sure you are not injured :?: :wink: :twisted:

What ever happened to 'leaving the scene of an accident?' Or does that not count to accidents involving cyclists? :roll:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    bikeboon wrote:

"but the bike is no longer suitable for riding mainly because of the car passenger kicking and throwing it against the pavement in what followed the incident."

Hang on, so the car pulled out in front of you, knocked you off, then the passenger got out and kicked and threw the bike against the pavement and then they drove off?? And the police won't do anything?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • You need to remind the police of their duty to prevent and detect crime. The passenger sounds like he has committed criminal damage and thus should be investigated. This includes obtaining statements and arresting the schyster.
    Sadly too often police officers have a tunnel vision about what they are dealing with, they turn up at an accident, they look at the accident.
    Here a criminal offence seems to have been committed. Complain loudly and high up and you will soon see something being done.
    Some people are like slinkies - not much use for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

http://knownothingbozoandhisbike.blogspot.com/
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Sounds like a failure to stop at the scene of an accident as well as criminal damage. Tell the police to sort their f*cking sh!t out.
  • bikeboon
    Kurako wrote:
    Sounds like a failure to stop at the scene of an accident as well as criminal damage. Tell the police to sort their f*cking sh!t out.
    Kurako wrote:

Wish there were more police like the foot officers on the spot who were (unexpectedly?), most importantly 'human', professional and efficient. Now the matter is passed to some "road department". Got a reference number, been told to ring them in a week if I dont hear from them sooner.

Look, it's just that type of area that I commute through... Can I change that? Probably not.