The Failure of the UCI

climber888
climber888 Posts: 12
edited May 2011 in Pro race
Hey Everyone

I just posted an interesting article on the failure of the uci on my blog. Since this topic has been in the headlines recently I was wondering what are your thoughts on the state of the UCI and how would you go about changing the way they run this great sport. Also provide your opinions on the article and my point of view. Do you think I'm right or completely wrong?

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Playing it fast and loose with the word "interesting" there. And do you really think anyone leaves the sport because the UCI mandates the weight of bikes? Are you mental?
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I got about 3 paragraphs down and stopped reading.

Climber, you need to read the articles better, you write: 'The UCI stopped the manufacturing of this product because it went against their law on unfair performance assistance.'

This is not the case, they have banned it from UCI races, not banned manufacture.

From bike radar article: 'The Bont Crono – dubbed the ‘world’s first time trial specific shoe’ – has been banned from UCI-sanctioned races.'

This is the opening paragraph of the article, not tucked away somewhere at the bottom.

If you are trying to emulate a journalist, do what they do, check the facts.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    climber888 wrote:
    Hey Everyone

'I just posted an interesting article'

Self reviewing :roll:

Brings to mind the phrase 'self praise is no praise'
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Firstly; chapeau for writing a blog... many people do not know how to fill the unforgiving minute. Writing is a wonderful way to do that.

Secondly; I agree with the comments regarding facts if you're writing this type of blog. Check the facts and then check them once more. And then once more.

Keep it up.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    So the sport of cycling is growing exponentially - maybe give the UCI some credit then ?

I'm not really sure what technological advances the UCI is holding back ? No doubt bikes could be made even lighter but without any limit manufacturers are going to push the boudaries of what is reliable. A weight limit may be a blunt instrument to ensure components are strong enough to last us amateurs many seasons but if it works all to the good.

The other thing is if you are going to chip away at the UCI then you should be aware that the likely group to step into their shoes will be the teams - if you think the UCI are bad I think a few years with them in charge might change your mind.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.