Specialized FSR XC 2006, worth upgrading parts or not?

mavmbr
mavmbr Posts: 10
edited September 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi All

Just wanted to get your expert options regarding my bike "Specialized FSR XC 2006" in regards to upgrades and is it worth it?

I know the bike is bit old now but have only used it about 5 times and its in great condition so now that i've got the time and getting back into it this year I wanted to update the spec a bit.

Was just wanting to get new forks really as happy with LX setup and frame is mint but i found the fork i want to upgrade to (Fox Suspension 32 Float RL) and found i am going to have to upgrade to disks as no V break mounts? :oops:

So do you think its worth spending the money upgrading the forks and adding disk setup or should i just buy a new bike with it all on? :roll:

Also what size disk could i fit on this bike and would the Fox Suspension 32 Float RL be ok for this bike?

Thanks for your time and posts! :D

Full bike spec
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/fsr-xc-2006-mountain-bike-ec012991?style=60141

specialized-fsr-xc-2006-mountain-bike.jpg

Comments

• 5pudgun
    5pudgun Posts: 402
    If you've only used it 5 times in as many years,I hardly think it's worth you upgrading. Just go and ride the thing :D
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    as previously stated, just get out and ride it and upgrade the parts when you need to replace them.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • mavmbr
    5pudgun wrote:
    If you've only used it 5 times in as many years,I hardly think it's worth you upgrading. Just go and ride the thing :D

Haha had a feeling that some one would say that :wink: i don't blame you.
    I have not been out on it due to injury and biking mate moved away, but am ready to get back into my biking as have got together with a new bunch of mates who go every other weekend to all different trails all over UK.

So yes i agree that if i was just going to use it a few times this year then i would just leave it but also planning to, may be replace my car Mon-Fri to get to work on as now i only live much closer to my new job. :)
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    No you need a new bike...and give me that one 8) .....

Give it a good check over and get out and ride it looks nice. might be old in your eyes but its not old as in ride time....
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    definately worth the upgrade.

So they frame is A1, rather than M4, it just means it will be a tiny bit heavier. Besides A1 was premium on top end bikes just a few years earlier. Get something like stans olympic wheels and some juicy 3 or 5 brake.

I would suggest a cheaper fork like a rebba or recon air and spend more on the wheels and brakes.
  • mavmbr
    bellys wrote:
    No you need a new bike...and give me that one 8) .....

Give it a good check over and get out and ride it looks nice. might be old in your eyes but its not old as in ride time....

Good shout :)
  • mavmbr
    diy wrote:
    definitely worth the upgrade.

So they frame is A1, rather than M4, it just means it will be a tiny bit heavier. Besides A1 was premium on top end bikes just a few years earlier. Get something like stans olympic wheels and some juicy 3 or 5 brake.

I would suggest a cheaper fork like a rebba or recon air and spend more on the wheels and brakes.

Thanks for the suggestions on what upgrades to make, was looking at the Fox forks as found them on special offer for the same price as the reacons.but thats out the window as today they are now showing as discontinued. :(

Might keep my wheels as i changed them to some down hill mavics, cant remember model off top of my head so think i will just need to upgrade the hubs to support disks.

Cheers
  • Hi Mavmbr,

Not sure if you went ahead with the upgrades but, I just wanted to say hey and even though it is now 2014..I have been upgrading mine because the frame has sentimental value and tbh it's a great all round frame.

Here are some pics:

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nice but I doubt the OP will see it as he hasn't logged on for a few years.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools