10 in Llandegla

JamieW
JamieW Posts: 114
edited June 2011 in XC and Enduro
As the guys at no fuss have changed their last event from moray to llandegla, i was wondering if anyone else is going??? off the top of my head, i think that the date is 20th of august so hopefully weather should be good.

i reckon this good be a good day out. think will put in an entry if any others from here going to play.

Comments

• SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    Do you have a link to the details for this?
  • JamieW
    http://www.nofussevents.co.uk/event/Ben ... egla/2753/

here is the link for anyone who is interested.

i think that i am going to do the kirroughtree as well (as soon as i get paid)
  • SDK2007
    Thanks for that.
    What's included in the entry free - any food/drink, supplies, etc ?
  • JamieW
    Rode 10 under the ben last year.

there was like an evening meal the night before. On the day i am unsure, racing all day but there may have been something in the evening.

Not sure really (I am in no way linked to the organisers) but would guess at goody bag on sign up. (miniture benromach whiskey included last time :) ) After that in the racing you have to be fairly self sufficient. I know what i like to eat and drink so dont tend to do much with what organisers put on.

very often there is neutral mechanical support on site, i would guess maybe one planet may be heavily involved as it will be on there turf.

(please bear in mind all of this is speculation - dont quote me on it)
  • SDK2007
    Thank for the info :)
    I up for this, just got to find out if any of my riding pals are now.
  • streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    Ace. Llandegla is only an hour or so from me, so I'm in.

Done several Bens and Kirroughtrees before. You can enter as a team of 2, 3 or 4, or as a single.

Usually a meal night before, but apart from that, you are paying for the chip timing and event organisation.
    You will have to bring your own supplies, but there is usually water, and a burger van or cafe on site.

There is usually a great atmosphere at these events and you can either race them or just treat them as a good biking day out. Definitely recommended.
  • SDK2007
    I don't mind paying for events but £45 per rider is pretty steep for what is just a 10 mile track through the woods.

I enter road events which are 100 miles, with full sign posting, car support, feed stations with energy bars & drinks, chip timing and a post event massage for £30 per rider.

In contrast this doesn't seem good value for money.
  • JamieW
    on the sportives you do get the bits you say but you get many of them on this as well.

again i eat what i eat. usually only need to pop some water in the bottles and if you look at it like that then is there a huge cost for riding the public roads.

you get signage or tape at these mtb events to stop you going the wrong way and marshals as well. chip timing is included on these events and unlike the road events, you are 'allowed' to race.

dont get me wrong i ride sportives for training purposes as well, but i have seen too many bits of stupid riding for the sake of a few seconds or passing a slower rider. (i have been just of guilty of this as many others) but atleast on the MTB you know there isnt going to be a car coming the other way.
  • SDK2007
    I race in the Midlands XC series and those races cost £22 each which I think is about right for an MTB event.
    Any way, I'll reserve final judgement until I've done the event but i'll be expecting it to be flawless in every way :)
  • JamieW
    Thats fine. I expect the same :) and if I don't win I'll whinge and moan and stamp my feet!!!!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    SDK2007 wrote:
    I don't mind paying for events but £45 per rider is pretty steep for what is just a 10 mile track through the woods.

I enter road events which are 100 miles, with full sign posting, car support, feed stations with energy bars & drinks, chip timing and a post event massage for £30 per rider.

In contrast this doesn't seem good value for money.

It's really not comparable... The organisers need to pay for the use of the trails. The insurance and organisation is a totally different thing as well- how many people will break bones on a hundred mile road sportive? How many marshalls are out on the route?

Also, how many of the roads were purpose built just for this event? (should say here that I don't know if they're adding new trails for Lllandegla but at 10UTB there's a lot, both the old formalised "10 under the ben route" that's waymarked and also a number of handcut link trails)

The midlands XC races are hardly comparable either, a 2 and a half hour race vs a 10 hour race... Shorter courses too from what I can see.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    Far too much for an event where you can ride the same trails for free (plus car parking) any other day of the year with just as many riders in the summer as well.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I might be tempted by this, but it depends if I can get my fitness back to a reasonable level in time, and find some capable team mates! :lol:
  • Northwind
    John Moore wrote:
    Far too much for an event where you can ride the same trails for free (plus car parking) any other day of the year with just as many riders in the summer as well.

But can you? That's not the case for the other 10s. Well, at Kirroughtree locals have opened up some of the trails but they're still not easy to find. And you won't get the feeling of being part of a big event, which is a draw (for people who like big events, at least).

I'm kind of sticking up for No Fuss here but personally, 10UTB wasn't for me, I didn't enjoy it. But, plenty of people did and they have a huge repeat signup. I like No Fuss and I'm racing with them again this year though, I'm just not the target audience for a 10. But if you are, then they're some of the best regarded XC events out there.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • JamieW
    i'm with northwind. no fuss have always put on a good event. i am one of their repeat offenders by heading back to 10 UTB.

But i like rinsing my body for 10 - 12 hrs racing. i'm no whippet, more of a diesel engine so it suits me down to a tee. I can get to llandegla in about an hour so it is just a good laugh and bit of fun, and i can get home to my own comfy bed after racing. (also less trouble from the mrs. She does love being a pit bi*#h on the 12 and 24's :lol: )
  • Northwind
    JamieW wrote:
    i'm no whippet, more of a diesel engine so it suits me down to a tee

I think I'm a 2-stroke lawnmower. Hope you get better weather this year!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Northwind wrote:
    JamieW wrote:
    i'm no whippet, more of a diesel engine so it suits me down to a tee

I think I'm a 2-stroke lawnmower. Hope you get better weather this year!
    I dunno what I am, either a top fuel dragster, or a rocket booster engine. Loads of power, but not much endurance :lol:
  • Northwind
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Yeah, that sounds aboit right for me. And I explode occasionally too.
  • About to enter Llandegla 10 in the solo category. I'm officially a moron. £50 for 10 hours racing sounds about right to me when I pay £100 for a pair in the Original Mountain Marathon which is about 8 hours racing. It's a shame but this kind of event just costs a lot.
    On-One Whippet Singlespeed
    Raleigh Airlite 400
    On-One Fatty (for sale)
  • if i go to this event i will be solo and just wondering to all you people that have been there before what is the youngest age i am 16 and don't really want to be the only young person there?
  • Northwind
    About to enter Llandegla 10 in the solo category. I'm officially a moron.

I probably won't do it again, but if I do it'll be solo... Pairs meant stopping riding when I felt like riding, and riding when I felt like sitting under the gazebo eating my own body weight in crisps :lol: Sure the serious soloists basically ride the whole race but you don't have to, it just puts you in charge of your own riding.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    So far it looks like me and an unfit mate (I say it like that because then it subconsciously suggets that I have a modicum of fitness) are doing it.
    We have NO HOPE of winning, it's just going to be for a laugh.
  • Northwind
    Ah, I'm throwing down the gauntlet then, let's see if you can match our triumphant 120th place :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jbwilliamz
    jbwilliamz Posts: 187
    I'm looking for my first Enduro ride...this could be it!
  • Anonymous
    I'm officially signed up for this now, but with a different team mate to the original plan. Hoping for a middle-of-the-field result, but we're mostly there just to have fun.