Carbon 456 Alfine

Deezer-D
Deezer-D Posts: 99
edited August 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Originally decided to build an Ibred but decided to go for a C456 intead.

Spec -

Frame: 16" On One Carbon 456
Forks: 150mm Revelations
Bars: Easton EA70 Mid Rise
Stem: Easton EA70 90mm (might be too long)
Headset: On One Smoothie
Grips: Spank

Front Brake Lever assy: Formula Oro K18
Front Caliper: Formula Oro K18
Front disc: Formula 180mm
Rear Brake Lever assy: Formula Oro K18
Rear Caliper: Formula Oro K18
Rear Disc: Shimano 160mm
Hoses: Formula

Shifters: Alfine 8 Speed
Cables: Shimano

Seat: Charge Spoon
Seat Post: Thompson Elite
Seat Post Clamp: Hope QR

Cranks: Shimano XT
Chainring(s): Gamut 34 Tooth
Chain: KMC Singlespeed
Pedals: Superstar Nano Techs
Bottom Bracket: XT

Front Wheel:
Rim: Mavic XC717
Spokes: DT Swiss
Hub: Hope XC
Tire: Smart Sam

Back Wheel:
Rim: Mavic XC717
Spokes: DT Swiss
Hub: Shimano Alfine 8
Tire: Smart Sam

Weight: No Idea!

Couple of iPhone pics. Will get better pics this weekend.

0f14b763.jpg

1aa89422.jpg

0c3ddc63.jpg

Comments

• Deezer-D
    Proper pics :D

DSC_0723.jpg

DSC_0715.jpg

DSC_0707.jpg

DSC_0706.jpg

DSC_0705.jpg
  • Deezer-D
    Some more, sorry about the size will try to resize them later

DSC_0720.jpg

DSC_0719.jpg

DSC_0718.jpg

DSC_0712.jpg

DSC_0708.jpg

DSC_0702.jpg

DSC_0701.jpg
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    How do you find the alfine mate? I saw one on a genesis a while back and quite liked the look of it.

The bike looks lovely!
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    That i sone of the nicest looking bikes I've seen on here.
  • Deezer-D
    crazy88 wrote:
    How do you find the alfine mate? I saw one on a genesis a while back and quite liked the look of it.

The bike looks lovely!

I had the Alfine on my Cannondale Badboy and loved it. I converted it to singlespeed and used the Alfine for the 456. Running a 34T chainring up front and 18 rear and I'm pleased with the spread of gears. No issues with broken mechs etc and it looks much "cleaner" too. Not the lightest but I like the fact I can change gear when stationary and there's not much maintainance required.
    Weighed it earlier and it was just under 26 pounds. Wasn't built with weight in mind though as the Alfine is about 1.5 kilos on it's own.
    If I had the cash I'd get an Alfine 11.
    Cheers
    D
  • Deezer-D
    Keith1983 wrote:
    That i sone of the nicest looking bikes I've seen on here.

Cheers mate.
    There's a few things I might change. I bought the wheels off eBay as they were advertised as Hope Pro II hubs but turned out to be Hope XC. was too much hassle to send them back so kept them. Wouldn't mind a Pro II Evo hub for the front at some stage but no rush. Also thinking of swapping the seat clamp, saddle and grips for black for a stealth look. May change the stem for something shorter but will see how I get on with the 90mm one for a while first.
    Need a set of urban Tyres though for my commute.
  • crazy88
    How does the alfine hold up on trail centre stuff then? Are they pretty robust? I'm not a weight weenie, so a little extra weight is not a problem.

I have a 456 carbon too, and my plan is to make it all black, the bling doesn't do it for me. Stealth all the way!!!
  • Deezer-D
    crazy88 wrote:
    How does the alfine hold up on trail centre stuff then? Are they pretty robust? I'm not a weight weenie, so a little extra weight is not a problem.

I have a 456 carbon too, and my plan is to make it all black, the bling doesn't do it for me. Stealth all the way!!!

Just finished it on Friday so haven't been off road yet but based on what I've read it should be fine. There's a couple on the On One readers rides section running Alfines that have been hammered round the trail centres. Here's a link to one of them

http://www.on-one.co.uk/readers-rides/y ... -alfine-11

Need to play with the fork setup as they are still set at factory setting. I'm about 200 pounds so they're a tad soft! Not much point being a weight weenie at my weight!

I agree, the stealth look is the way forward.
  • crazy88
    Thanks for that link, I'll check it out now.

I'm about 210lbs too, so as you mention no point being too conscious of bike weight lol. Just out of interest how tall are you? I'm 6'3 and went for an 18" frame, it's similar in size to my old gt, a little longer top tube though which I'm hoping will help as I've got shorter legs and a longer upper body. Inside leg is 33" if I remember correctly.

You'll have to keep us updated as to how the Alfine performs when you've had chance to test it.
  • Deezer-D
    I'm 5'11" and went for a 16". I've a 31-32 ish inseam and the 16" is perfect. I prefer a slightly smaller frame though.
    Will keep you posted on how it rides.
    Cheers
    D
  • toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    I am 5'9 with a 32 inside leg and went for a 16", again perfect size for me