Using Garmin Basecamp on an Edge 800

Bobbinboy
Bobbinboy Posts: 29
edited May 2011 in MTB general
I have to say I was pretty reluctant to admit defeat and post a new thread but can anyone give advice on how the hell to use Garmin Basecamp to plot an off road route for my Garming Edge 800?

I have the trail pack with the 50:1 OS map and I can view this in Basecamp but for some reason the Basecamp software will only let me create a new list and then route and because of this all the waypoints appear as locations in the main folder. I could use maymyride or bikeroute toaster but they don't use OS maps and even the new OS Mapmyride software won't let me upload the route I have created (it gives me an error of sorts). It so frustrating to have such a good device and not be able to easily plot an offroad route on an OS map!

Any help would really be appreciated!
No bike they've all been stolen...

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I wouldnt bother.

Use www.bikehike.co.uk and save the gpx route onto your garmin in the course folder.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    garmin basecamp and roadmap are no good for off road routes. Bikehike is better.

I use anquet on my mac and buy the maps I need, but importing off road routes into my 705 doesn't work (garmin insists on computing the route, not following it), so I have to export them to bikehike and then download to the garmin.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Bobbinboy
    Thanks for the responses. The thing is the unit comes with the OS map which I really want to plot on. There seems little point in having an OS map if you can't use it! I can bring it up in Basecamp but not save a route on it other than all the waypoints sticking themselves into the locations folder.

I have tried to use the new OS Getamap software which is great for creating the route using bridleways etc but when I try to save it to the Garmin I get the error "Your Device Does not Support Reading of the Type: GPSDataDirectory' whatever that means..

I guess I will have to use Bikeroute Toaster or Bikehoke etc but it still bl**dy annoys me!
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Have you tried the garmin forums? you might get more technical help from there.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Bobbinboy
    Well at least I have the answer from the Ordanance Survey who say that the Edge 800 does not support the Garmin Communicator Plugin API that is used by Getamap. Looks like I will be emailing Garmin to sort this out as the OS Getamap has been specifically setup for Garmin devices so its a bit pants that the new 800 doesn't work with it... Bike Hike it is then!