Permanently storing my bike outside???

jonnytekno
jonnytekno Posts: 5
edited May 2011 in MTB general
Hi,

I have just bought my first bike (Specialized Rockhopper). I live in a house where I have absolutely no choice but to store it outside the house in the back garden. I can lock it to a fence, and actually I think there is very little risk of it being stolen, as the back garden is totally enclosed and not really accessible, however I am concerned about the exposure to the elements.

There is a possibility that at some point I will be able to get a small narrow shed built to house it, but in the mean-time I am thinking I will have to get some sort of cover for it.

Does anyone have any advice/thoughts about storing a bike outside and how to avoid damage and wear from the elements??

Many thanks

Comments

• I had store my bike outside for a few months when I lived in the WORST student house ever. I got a cover for it but it got really windy and ripped it, and eventually ripped another one and a few bits got rusty.

My advice, find a way to keep indoors.
    On-One Whippet Singlespeed
    Raleigh Airlite 400
    On-One Fatty (for sale)
  • WILL 1 AM
    WILL 1 AM Posts: 132
    B and Q - For some tarpaulin, these had metal eyelets, so you can attach to a fence and then over the bike.

I would do it sort of half way up the height of the bike so you kinda wrap it up and over the bike if you like and then get the wheels to sit on bottom bit so it dont flap around
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What's there to get rusty apart from the chain, and a few bolt heads anyway? And they will get rusty whether it's kept outside or not.
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    I've used a Topeak bike cover before which was head & shoulders over the generic tarp-like one it replaced.

Unfortunately it didn't stop it getting nicked so I now keep its replacement tucked away indoors in a bike bag.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    wheels off, under the bed.
  • tcs207
    tcs207 Posts: 9
    Before i got a shed i had the same problem. I bought a bike tent off ebay for about £30. It might be called a bike cave or something but it worked ok. I used it for a year and it was still standing when i moved out.
    I put a metal ring on the wall next to the tent and changed the bike to it.
    It was ok, not ideal but my bike was always ok.
    Personally i only keep my old bikes in shed and my new one in the house now. My girlfriend hates it. Never mind.
    Specialized Camber FSR Elite
    Specialized Hardrock Pro
  • BobbyTrigger
    BobbyTrigger Posts: 377
    Atz wrote:
    wheels off, under the bed.

Kinky!
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Yeh, got to keep your good bikes indoors and warm. I have a pully system so I can hoist it up out of the way of the wife but she took some convincing.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    Attach it to the wall, like a work of art... :lol:
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    +1^^^^^^

or take off wheels and put it in loft
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    I kept my bike outside the front of my house in London for years. I had an anchor set into the concrete floor and a decent chain and a bike cover from ebay Nobody tried to steal it and it didn't suffer from rust either. The covers are big enough to go right to the ground and so the bike stays bone dry.

That was 2 years ago and I still have the bike and it's still running just fine.
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Hey, Johny Tekno, what exactly is the address of your house? I could do with a Specialized Rockhopper.....
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Definitely not uncovered outdoors, will ruin it for sure, too many bits of metal showing.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    what about those secure storage units ? tho their not cheap (£400 to £500) their secure and weather proof.
    Personally would never leave a bike outside my house.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Definitely not uncovered outdoors, will ruin it for sure, too many bits of metal showing.
    And most of those bits are aluminium. So, no worries. Unless it rains sweat where you live. Which would explain the smell :lol:
  • W00DENT0P
    W00DENT0P Posts: 211
    Bike tent off Ebay, had one for about a year or so, can't fault it at all, got it screw to a fence and its stayed in one piece even in some pretty nasty weather, Insides allways been dry as well. Got a ground anchor and an anchor of the fence, tent has a small velcro opening at the back to pass chain / locks thru.
  • MattJWL
    MattJWL Posts: 147
    And most of those bits are aluminium. So, no worries. Unless it rains sweat where you live. Which would explain the smell :lol:
    Yep, Aluminium gear cables all the way. And all the bearings in BB/Hubs/Sus etc. They're Aluminium too.

In fairness, hopefully the bearings have enough grease not to rust, but y'know what I'm saying. I have also in my time kept a bike outdoors, it constantly had 'niggles' during that time, but no longlasting damage. That said I didn't protect it too well ... I reckon if I had used a bike tent / proper tarp it would have been OK. In winter the tyres perished tho, no way round that.
    Intense Carbine SL
    "Chinarello"
    Taylor Made
    Off to pastures new:
    CELL Team Pro
    Intense Spider FRO
    Giant XTC Composite Clone
    1992 Fisher Al-1
    1990 Raleigh Mirage
    1988 Cloria Italian MTB
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    I left my bike outside for a while, aged rapidly, also at work in the open. I wouldn't do it, even if you cover it. A small tent would be better as said. Even if you cover it with tarp filth and other stuff will get blown up underneath. Also moisture and such like.

No way would I leave a expensive bike outside, sub £500 still leave it in the shed or buy a wendy house
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • mrlargefoot
    mrlargefoot Posts: 10
    Not exactly possible for everyone but this was one of my solutions!

243847_10150169662811439_516111438_6790297_7653335_o.jpg
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    yeah the wife is going to love getting in a single bunk bed with me :)

FWIW mine is kept outside under a crap cover and does perfectly well.
  • mrlargefoot
    mrlargefoot Posts: 10
    weeksy59 wrote:
    yeah the wife is going to love getting in a single bunk bed with me :)

FWIW mine is kept outside under a crap cover and does perfectly well.

Its a double loft bed!

We have a teeny flat so we got it made buy a guy on ebay that does them up to order. Not quite what you were asking but its the best £300 i have ever spent.
  • BobbyTrigger
    BobbyTrigger Posts: 377
    your lass lets you keep your bike under yer bed?

hats off to you mate :)
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    How about putting one of the mini-shed type things in your garden?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... arch=false

I'm sure you could get them cheaper somewhere on the web.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Do you have space to build a lean-to on the side of your house? Definitely put in an anchor though as no-one is free from risk of theft.
    However, my new bike is kept in the downstairs toilet/coat room when I'm not home and in the shed or garden when I am home. Until I beef up the security in the the shed I'm sticking to that plan.
    Many happy trails!
  • steamboat
    steamboat Posts: 54
    go to pound land AND get a bike cover and bunje cord only 2 pounds that way you cand spen more on a good locks
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Definitely not uncovered outdoors, will ruin it for sure, too many bits of metal showing.
    Left my bike in one of the shelters in all for about 3 months last year as i'm at uni, it was a pain to maintain and lots of stuff went rusty, including the fork stanchions (toras). That was annoying.... So now I keep both my bikes in my room.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5