your family name..

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
This is a website that charts the spread of your family name based on the 1881 census and data from 1998.

It's really interesting, my family name is still largely concentrated in the NW…hardly any change over 100 yrs+

click on the 'Start a surname search link' and away you go.

http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/default.aspx
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,185
    Mine was concentrated in South East and Mid Wales at first and pretty much still the same but has spread out into more of South Wales and just over the border to Hereford and Gloucestershire. I think when I looked before there are also a lot of us in New Zealand.
  • getjim
    getjim Posts: 30
    Mine's so rare it's not on there!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    mine is and has been based where I was dragged up. We dont get about too much.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Wales......Its all about Wales.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Jings, crivvens!!! Mine are all in - brace yourself, I'm going to use foul language here - England. :shock:

:twisted:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Was and still is around southwest Scotland mainly with other concentrations around Lanacshire and Liverpool, hardly surprising for an Irish surname. I've always lived in Norfolk though.
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    apparently i should be living in the south-east. so glad i'm not
  • nikle
    nikle Posts: 32
    All over england but hot spot around the potteries, which doesn't suprise me as thats my father hails from or did.
    My mothers name doesn't have any data less than 10 left. She was from herefordshire , I know there are some in Australia their the last of the mohicans!! :(
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    It's saying I originate from Wales. I am not Ffing happy at that, there must be some kind of mistake.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,090
    Not working :(

Have to fire up the laptop as it might be a flash thing
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    OOh, that's curious!

1881 - all in Caithness, Orkney and Shetland

1998 - as above plus a few in Aberdeenshire and Central Highlands and very faint traces in Fife and Hertfordshire (that'll be me and my late dad).

Very parochial are we - and Vikings through and through!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Always knew mine was originally an E Anglian surname, now checked and yep - Colchester and surprisingly East Sussex and Kent (although I have relatives in Kent the surname is different). Over last 100 years they have migrated to Hull of all places (I have nothing against the fine city of Hull). Very interesting.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    None for me :( and only 1 from 1881 in central London.
  • FocusZing
    This is a website that charts the spread of your family name based on the 1881 census and data from 1998.

It's really interesting, my family name is still largely concentrated in the NW…hardly any change over 100 yrs+

Are you sure this bloody site is accurate?
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    FocusZing wrote:

Relax...taff :wink:
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing wrote:

Relax...taff :wink:

You Fvcking take that back, BITCH! :evil:

My hairs black, I can't help looking at lambs when I ride past them on my bike :shock: :cry:

It all just seem so futile now, so meaningless...
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Mine is Cornish - almost exclsuively in 1881, with some in Devon/Somerset. Now still mostly Cornwall but spreading from SW UK . I grew up in Essex but my dad is Cornish.
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    1881, Northants is one of two hotspots for my name and having done family tree research going back to the 18th century, i know i,m related in varying degrees to probably hundreds with my name just in Northampton town alone.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    South West Scotland and Fife in 1881 with a few in Dundee, now 1981 showing lots in Dundee.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    With a Welsh surname that's so obviously Welsh that there's an Irishman with my surname playing cricket for England, I wasn't surprised that we'd mostly be in Wales in the last century, but I was surprised at how much my lot have repopulated a whole swathe of the south of England. It makes me wonder whether we've just drifted back to where we originally came from.
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    Interesting.

Mostly around Dundee in 1881.
    Still focussed in North/East Scotland in 1981.

My Grandfather's name is much more traditionally Scottish yet is, and was, much more spread over the UK.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    WYorks for me as expected, though quite a few of us ended up in Western Aus & NZ, maybe some of their own freewill :wink:

Wifey's folks, a seafaring bunch, were split between Cleveland and Cornwall, though started out in Germany, as indicated by the 1881 stats. Interesting site.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    The owners of my ancestors were probably Scottish.
    Kinda makes the possible break-up of the United Kingdom seem a bit minor in comparison to millions of people being enslaved over hundreds of years.

Ah well, I've just found out that my new favourite drink is Buckfast!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    johnboy183 wrote:
    apparently i should be living in the south-east. so glad i'm not

Yeah I am too. It's a nice area and we'd like to keep it that way. :)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,090
    North west with no real change
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    The owners of my ancestors were probably Scottish.
    Kinda makes the possible break-up of the United Kingdom seem a bit minor in comparison to millions of people being enslaved over hundreds of years.

Ah well, I've just found out that my new favourite drink is Buckfast!

That's a sobering thought (apart from the Buckfast :wink: ); thanks for the post. Reminds me how much identity matters and how it can be taken away. There was an item on radio yesterday about North Africans who moved to Israel when it was set up as a state. They've only just been permitted to officially "choose" their own birthday. Prior to that, their dates of birth were listed as 00/00/00, because they came from a place and a time where records, if they ever existed at all, had been destroyed.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    Ah well a big move for us, the North East to the North West.
  • freddiegrubb
    freddiegrubb Posts: 448
    :oops: I must be odd, I couldn't care less about my ancestors I find I have enough trouble coming to terms with my own identity & existence.
  • FocusZing
    :oops: I must be odd, I couldn't care less about my ancestors I find I have enough trouble coming to terms with my own identity & existence.

You wouldn't say that if you found out your ancestors were likely Welsh :evil:
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    I was told that mine was a Cornish name, fair enough there was and is a concentration there; also York and Lincolnshire? The concentrations have remained but we seem a bit more spread out now. Interesting site, as others have remarked.
    The older I get the faster I was