Travel Adjust Forks.

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 532
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I am looking at getting some new forks. My Whyte takes a 120mm fork for which there is plenty of choice. The thing is, I may well want to change the bike / frame (as is my way, I can never leave anything alone :D ) so I started thinking about longer travel adjustable forks.

So my question is, is it OK to run a long travel adjustable fork e.g Talas, Revelation dual position in the lower 120mm setting on a permanent basis? This way I future proof myself for if (more likely when) I want to get something different and with longer travel.

Comments

• biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    Should be fine long term.
    i'd probably extend them to full length once a month and work the springs by hand a few
    times to stop any mechanisms siezing up.

edit ; and dont skimp on servicing if you're getting pricy height adj. forks :wink:
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I've got recons 85-130, I wind down to minimum for tarmac and long climbs, wind out to maximum for long rocky downhills, leave in 100-115 for most everything else. So I use min and max a few times in nearly every ride. If you've got it, use it.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    All travel Rock shock forks and some marzochi (sorry about spelling) have the ability to change travel using an internal spacer. So you could get something like the RS revolutions and run them with the spacers at 120mm and if when you get a different frame you have the option to remove the spacers increasing travel up to 150mm i think for Revs.

saves you payng more for the travel adjust feature if you're not going to use it as intended.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    jairaj wrote:
    All travel Rock shock forks and some marzochi (sorry about spelling) have the ability to change travel using an internal spacer. So you could get something like the RS revolutions and run them with the spacers at 120mm and if when you get a different frame you have the option to remove the spacers increasing travel up to 150mm i think for Revs.

saves you payng more for the travel adjust feature if you're not going to use it as intended.

This.