Wiggins and Thomas training in Tenerife

Gavin Cook
Gavin Cook Posts: 307
edited May 2011 in Pro race
I was out yesterday on this ride http://connect.garmin.com/activity/85166382 in the hills above the south of Tenerife and saw Wiggins , Thomas and a couple of other Sky riders riding up towards El Teide via Arona.
I have seen riders from Liquigas, Astana, Radioshack and Quickstep before but never seen Sky around here before.

Gav

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    Connect the dots...

:wink:
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Reliably good weather, good riding terrain = good place to go training?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Was Ferrari's motorhome in the vicinity too :wink: ?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    andyp wrote:
    Connect the dots...

__

That was the worst join-the-dots puzzle ever.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Was Ferrari's motorhome in the vicinity too :wink: ?

Considering the scrutiny he is apparently under i dont think anyone would be going anywhere near him at the moment.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Connect the dots...

__

:lol:
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    fantastic route. can't wait to go back :roll:

the mountain climb from granadilla to vilaflor is close to perfect with hardly any traffic
  • 9jan11
    9jan11 Posts: 67
    can't wait to go back

Yep just seen the news, sounds like a nice place.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I must be really stupid, but I can't connect the dots :cry:

Can someone get the crayons out and explain please?
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    A lot of riders with dodgy reputations train in Tenerife, and Fuentes is alleged to be based there, so was alluding to today's revelations from l'Equipe to tar Wiggins and Thomas with the same brush.

It was a joke, but sadly it took Rich to make it properly funny.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    RichN95 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Connect the dots...

__

:lol:
    +1 :lol:
  • Gavin Cook
    dcj wrote:
    fantastic route. can't wait to go back :roll:

the mountain climb from granadilla to vilaflor is close to perfect with hardly any traffic

Not long to go !!

Gav
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    a video of the road to vilaflor two thirds of the way up from granadilla, about 3,000ft if anyone is interested :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cycleklipz#p/u/18/mRk9D56EkEw
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    There's a graphic write up of a ride from Los Cristianos - Arona - Mt Teide here...

http://sportivecentral.com/?p=blogs&rid=387&page=1

Sounds quite an epic - especially in that heat.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • Gavin Cook
    rhnb wrote:
    There's a graphic write up of a ride from Los Cristianos - Arona - Mt Teide here...

http://sportivecentral.com/?p=blogs&rid=387&page=1

Sounds quite an epic - especially in that heat.

Thats an excellent account and very accurate. I agree what Richyboy says about Mont Ventoux having nothing on El Teide. i have ridden both and El Teide is in another league.
    Also you can choose between 6 climbs up the mountain and each one has different terrain
    He was quite unlucky with the weather conditions, the wind is called Calima which is a very warm wind from the Sahara and blows sand across to the islands. This only occurs for a week or two each year.
    The most common climb is via Arona on the south side. I personally prefer the climb via Granadilla which is also from the south side and also the climb from the north side via La Orotava which is a 40 km climb through oine forests.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Can I thank Rocksteadyeddie and Sonny73 for appreciating the joke that I made. I thought it was a really good joke, but perhaps a little bit obscure. I'm glad it found an audience.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Tenerife seems a good place to ride a bike but a bit too lumpy for an early spring training for me. Doing a 2000m climb as a fatty seems like a bad move. The only flatter road seems to be the road which goes around the Island and seems a busy road so could be tricky. I have never been to Lanzarote or Fuetoventura but assume there are less lumps.
    Must admit to going out to Tenerife with the Mrs and went up to Teide on a bus trip (the shame is all mine). Looks like a nice steady climb with good roads. I assume it can get foggy and damp up the top of the Mountain as there are usually clouds that hang around the upper slopes of the mountain. We went to Gomera (Bus) and froze at the higher altitudes as we were in shorts. If you want a good tester try cycling around Gomera; not sure whether they know what a flat road looks like. Bonkers!

-Jerry

Ps- The news about that woman was a bit crazy; I've caught the bus a few times across the road from where it happened!! :shock:
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Gavin Cook
    Jerry
    If you want a more flat ride then the old road to Santa Cruz is ok, although the surface in some places is not too good. There aren't many cars use this road.
    Lanzarote or Fuetoventura are very boring places to ride compared with Tenerife and both these islands get be quite windy.
    I was in La Gomera with the family for a long weekend not long ago and I road around the island. Not the place to go if you dont like climbing !
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Well done on Gomera!! Pantanii lives!! What a climber! Hats off! :wink:

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    How come Wiggns and Thomas aren't in the Giro?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Too hard. Would wreck them for the Tour.

Strava is not Zen.