Rim wear - what rate to expect?

2»

Comments

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Quite some thread resurrection. However, I can now look at this thread, sit back and say how much I like the discs on my new bike. 8)

Hmm yes. Just replaced the pads on my commuter rear brake as they were at wear limit, but the fronts seem barely worn. Grit and crap definitely have impact.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Veronese,

Was just going to post the same thing... So I will.
    I used to find that I'd need to replace wheels every couple of years on my commuter (8000-9000 all year round miles). Disc brakes obviously remove the need for this*. Worth having for that reason alone but if you add improved performance and easier adjustment then I wouldn't spec a bike for commuting without them now.

*Particularly helpful if you use hub dynos and/or hub gears and I now use both.
  • On my winter bike riding in all weather I used to get 6k miles out of open pros and now use rigid chirna.

On the summer bike they seem to last much longer probably because of road debris.

I am now paranoid because i let this happen to me.

Re: Rim wear - what rate to expect?
    by pitchshifter » 10 Apr 2013 08:32

Metal and stones embedded in your brake pads are your worst enemy for rim wear. I make an effort to check them once a week or so.

I had open pros , great rim in my opinion. Would be even better if they had a wear indicator..

Don't let this happen!

Road

I measured the thickness of the split rim at 0.1 mm but it is difficult to measure on open pros.
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.