SPD SL for commuting through London

2»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    gaz545 wrote:
    Not all of us are freds, some of us have big legs which can push big power. Using little egg beaters with a small cleat means you can't put all your power down.

I think the point is you maybe accelerating past folk with spds, but that has nothing at all to do with the pedal and everything to do with you being fitter than them. If the soles of your shoes are stiff enough, the cleat size really isn't going to make a real world difference.

Still, I'd love to be proved wrong if there is any evidence out there that the power losses differ to any significant (ie irrelevant outside pro-racing) extent between spds and spd-sl pedals.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Rolf F wrote:
    gaz545 wrote:
    Not all of us are freds, some of us have big legs which can push big power. Using little egg beaters with a small cleat means you can't put all your power down.

I think the point is you maybe accelerating past folk with spds, but that has nothing at all to do with the pedal and everything to do with you being fitter than them. If the soles of your shoes are stiff enough, the cleat size really isn't going to make a real world difference.

Still, I'd love to be proved wrong if there is any evidence out there that the power losses differ to any significant (ie irrelevant outside pro-racing) extent between spds and spd-sl pedals.
    Evidence for one type of pedal vs another is very slim if none. I doubt either of us will find anything to prove either right or wrong.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I can see the advantage of Egg-Beaters when mud plugging, but as a user of both SPDs and SPD-SLs I can say that the only difference I can feel is that the carbon soles on the SLs are stiffer (duh!)

For around town I think SPDs are a bit better, but that may just be because the shoes are easier to walk in or to put your foot down at lights. Clipping in/out is just as easy with both once you are used to it.

If I were forced to chose between one or the other as the only pedal/cleat system I could use for the rest of my life it would be a VERY hard choice, but I think I'd go SPD.

But, I'm still contemplating putting the SLs on the fixie for my upcoming centuries as I think they are marginally better when on the bike (carbon soles strike again) however that would mean carrying extra shoes for when I'm off the bike at the end of my rides and thus negate any performance advantage.

I've never used Speedplays, Keos, Egg-Beaters or other systems but if the differences are as minor as those between SPDs and SLs, I guess they are all pretty good and the main differences are how easy they are to walk in.

The stiffness of the shoes probably gives as much on the bike advantage as the different systems.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Rolf F wrote:
    Given that there aren't really any advantages in SLs for most commutes, and a few disadvantages, it is hard to see why they would be a preferred choice particularly if you use them already.

This.

When I do a 60-mile charity ride around the Highlands later in the year, I might stick my Look Keos (that came with my bike) back on if only because I have them already and are slightly lighter. For my commute, though, the SPDs are perfect even with road shoes. I tried the Keos (essentially the same as the SLs) for a few weeks but a cleat broke and clipping in was more fiddly. I see no real benefit.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    From reading all of the above it would appear to confirm my selection.

SPD cleats and shoes with a stiff sole. All of the advantages, none of the disadvantages.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    navt wrote:
    navt wrote:
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    You can use the R1 with SPD style cleats too. I did for a long time.

I still do. With floats of course.

Personally, I found R1s to be near lethal with regular SPD cleats, ars* over tit on many occasions. If you're wearing road shoes, use road pedals. I use Look Keos on my commute, and they work fine, especially the ones with the grips on. They probably will wear out quite quickly though.

I found this too, but hence the qualification with the floats. Works a treat.

dhb R1s are sitting in my w!ggle shopping basket waiting for me to squeeze the trigger; now I find this little nugget. Near lethal???
    I have some Aldi/Lidl MTB shoes with SPD cleats at the minute, no problem with unclipping even with surrounding tread. Seems odd that SPD cleats on the R1s could be worse when the sole's smooth? Or is the problem with something other than unclipping?
    I assume the problem is with walking (where SPD-specific shoes win because the cleat is recessed).

Sorry, missed this one. Yes, the problem was with walking, especially walking down the concrete steps to our bike shed. The R1s are really good shoes with road pedals. Walking in them with road cleats is fine, if a little clunky, but the regular SPD cleats are small patches of bare metal. With road shoes you're using the cleat as a base for walking in, it was like the walk to the football pitch across the playground at school in football boots, only more so. If you're using mountain bike cleats, probably best to go with mountain bike shoes.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    SPD-SLs are OKfor commuting in. You have to have your wits about you with regards to clipping out at junctions etc, but all clipless pedals are the same.
    The only problem with SPD-SLs is trying to walk in them. If you have to walk more than a few steps, they are a pain in the bottom bracket and wear out quickly, but if you don't have to put your foot down or walk in them, they are great.

I used SLs for years around town and the only problem I ever had was walking from the car park to the office, actually on the bike is fine, better than SPDs, but that is the whole point of them ennit?

Must be subjective. I have no problem walking in my SPD-SLs. Hell I've managed to run downstairs, and along a train platform to catch a train, while carrying my bike, while wearing SPD-SL's.

I've also walked at a reasonable pace with ITB from the Morpeth to Wimbledon Trainstation with no great difficulty or slippery moments. There is a tip-toey/heel-toe esque technique to walking in them though...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Must be subjective. I have no problem walking in my SPD-SLs. Hell I've managed to run downstairs, and along a train platform to catch a train, while carrying my bike, while wearing SPD-SL's.

I've also walked at a reasonable pace with ITB from the Morpeth to Wimbledon Trainstation with no great difficulty or slippery moments. There is a tip-toey/heel-toe esque technique to walking in them though...

Not really subjective - it isn't that hard to walk in SPD - SLs. It's just a bit awkward but the gains don't justify the slight awkwardness. And besides - Morpeth to Wimbledon? Was there anything left of your cleats at the end of that? :lol:

And there are places were it isn't a great idea - eg uncarpeted stairs. Running down such carrying a bike is a little silly; not worth the risk.

Basically though, keep the SLs for when you are spending the day on the bike and the SPDs for the commute. If I had only one bike, I'd just swap the pedals over as required - 2 minute job.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DDD, dunno what shoes you have, but in my carbon soled shoes, uneven ground is a nightmare. No flex at all makes walking much more difficult, do-able, but difficult.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I have these and these - great shoe with SPD-sl I have no issues with them. As my cycling has improved and I stay engaged in the pedal for longer the cleat lasts longer.

I have 'slipped' but nothing major. I also have fallen arches and am prone to sore feet (a well worn pair of shoes will look like I walk on my ankles), I like the wide surface area SPD-SL's cover.

I won't dress it up, they are race orientated cleats but I don't buy the magnetude of the "they're impractical" arguments most of that is just marketing spiel developed when clipless was first launched, justified sold for commuting a little like hybrids being 'ideal' (more so than road/race bikes).

SPD-sl serves me just fine and has done for 3/4 years.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game