Faster for no money?

2»

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    NapoleonD wrote:
    You don't need long easy rides to train for a 10. At all. Just intervals. 60 mile rides are good for pleasure or sportives but no good for 10s.

So not true Nap :wink:

If you do 60 miles at a SLOW pace then maybe, but 60 miles is a ride where you ride hard, even at endurance pace it shouldn't be slow by any stretch. Slow rides are recovery rides, and nothing else. Even my 100 mile + rides are not slow :lol:

I train for long distance TT's, but it isn't as if I am slow at 10's.

Your aerobic base underpins the harder intensity neglect this and you may find you have erratic performances of erratic race power etc.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Then it's not a slow ride in the classic sense. The best all round training, if you could only do one thing, I'm sure would be longer rides at a mix of tempo, sweet spot, endurance. Just going out and bumbling for 60 miles will do nowt for 10 times...

It's all academic for me now anyway, can't be bothered with it all :(
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    I agree with Nap, I've rode for years for pleasure, 40/50/60 milers, just done a few TT's this year for the first time and i'm way off the pace, my body wasn't ready for the intensity of a '10'.

Though on 2nd thoughts, this 'base' mileage has meant i can average 20+ mph without any training, so it has definitely had some benefit
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I ride 60 miles at endurance power, so it is the traditional base building rides It is not bimbling around, and I can't see why anybody would think it is. Recovery rides are bimbling around, and they would be an hour max.

You do need hard intervals for the best performance in 10's but if you only do intensity, your fitness will plummet accordingly
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    yeah, everyone is different but i find if i do a longer than normal ride or race in excess of 120k once recovered from it i am good form, so the chances are if i went out and did a hilly 4/5 hour ride this weekend next weekend no matter what race i did i would go alot better than if i just did one or two hours of intervals. A big reason why intervals are encouraged so much isn't so much that they work better than longer rides they just take up less time, if you don't mix it up you will never be as good as you could be. IMO to race strong for two hours you need to be able to ride for longer comfortably it is easier to train lower intensity for longer than high intensity for less time