Bontrager SS front wheel maintenance

a.a.r.frank
a.a.r.frank Posts: 9
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a 2009 Trek 8000 with the Bontrager SS wheelset, which is now rattling a little. It feels like the axle is loose, or the bearings are shot.

Are there any decent guides as to how this axle should be set up, as it is different to the conventional cone and ball arrangement of a Shimano hub.

Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cartridge bearings?

knock them out and replace.

what is the hub model?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Have not got a clue what bearings they are... And Trek/Bontrager's online stuff is pretty shockingly unhelpful. All it says is that the bearings should be serviced by someone that has been trained: I am not going to pay £20 for that...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Take them out, will have a code number, find an online bearing shop, couple of £'s each.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ok, there seems to be a massive presumption here, possibly based on the glossing over of the difference between Shimano type cup and ball arrangements, and what Trek use...

Lets start with the necessary tools to strip the axle out: it is not an orthodox cone spanner fitting...

Or even better, does anyone know of an online resource which guides through the whole task? These do not appear to be orthodox cup and ball. Thanks.
  • nicklouse
    pics.

trek can and do use many hubs. so without a hub ID or pics....... who knows.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Only details listed anywhere is that the model of the hub is "Bontrager Sealed".

As said at various points above, it does not have a cone spanner fitting...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Then you need to use something else.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    Only details listed anywhere is that the model of the hub is "Bontrager Sealed".

As said at various points above, it does not have a cone spanner fitting...

sorry but that could mean anything.

Again Pics.