Why do ride organisers write such stuff?

FransJacques
FransJacques Posts: 2,148
http://www.mercurytrainingcamp.net/merc ... spx?id=167

Am I supposed to think "are you kidding, I'm an awesome cyclist, game on!" or am I supposed to think "gosh that looks tough, better skip it and stick to 2/3 laps and a latte in Rich Park"? I love the exuberant choice of words:

"Experiecned climbers only" - defininition?

"Gold std sportive roders only" -
http://www.mercurytrainingcamp.net/merc ... .aspx?id=8 you're telling me eveyone in these photos has done gold at the etape? puh-leeez!

"Very limited number of places for Elite riders ONLY. Apply within" - Indeed, I'm now put off for sure.

If in fact there is anyone on BR who's good enough to ride this, please let me know what it was like.
When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bit odd really. I suppose they want to keep the pace high and reckon they'll find 12 riders who won't be put off. A decent mileage but actually not so much climbing for 250 miles - the Fred does more than that in half the distance. Don't think it says 'elite' anywhere though - just experienced and gold standard (and I could claim the latter from the Burgess Hill Rumble).

Doesn't seem bad value either with kit transported and two nights accomodation even if one is a YHA but it does sound a bit like they shoot you if you get dropped :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • BrianTrousers
    BrianTrousers Posts: 218
    I don't understand what a "Prepartion" camp is.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    mmm, does sound a bit light for a grimpeur. The Exmoor Beast had a 100m route which climbs about 8,000ft so the Mercury route effectively adds another 2,000 ft in 150m, or Norfolk in old money.

Mind you, it is all about the pace and I didn't get Gold in the Beast so that would rule me out (phew!) since, as above, they are looking for fast riders and don't want to get held back. It is really just a training ride for Marmotte/Etape but, as Rolf mentions, I would hate to get dropped with a mechanical/puncture, etc.

Many sportives advertise themselves as "Hell" or "the ultimate challenge", some like that kind of stuff so not much wrong with it, as such.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I am doing the "Irish Mail" 400km audax on the weekend of the 21st May
    In 27 hours or less we will cover 5500 metres of climbing and 250 miles
    Last time it took me just under 24 hours

I'm sure I could do this sportive if I wanted too and I am "only" a mere audax rider. No gold medals for me.

If you want a friendly, inclusive event that weekend, I suggest my 400km "Avalon Sunrise" audax
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Hey Vorsprung, what's the one you mentioned in Exmoor which is 200kms and 4500 meters of climbing. IIRC it went through Lynmouth or Lynton??...

Thanks, that's one I want to try.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.