Rear brake massive squeal and loss of power

nickfrog
nickfrog Posts: 610
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hiya,

This just suddenly "happened". I loosened the caliper to try an re-align it but I can't prevent it from "bending" the disc slightly on one side prior to the other pad entering in contact with the disc, is that the cause of the issue ? Bent or misaligned disc ? Would that also cause the massive loss of power too ?

Cheers

Confused of Sussex.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    contaminated pads.

sounds like you may have undone the wrong bolts.

what brakes? which bolts?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    Sounds like you've got a stuck piston.

Try holding the one that moves open and pump the brakes to get the stuck one moving.
  • nickfrog
    Sorry. SLX 160mm with centre lock. Frame is older so there is a an adapter attached to the frame. I did not undo the bolts that attache the adapter to the frames but the ones that attach the caliper to the adapter, which gave me lateral movement. I just retried and however accurate I tried to be, when I tighten the bolts and then release the brake lever, it still does not seem to bind the disc properly, as in one one of the pads is almost already touching the disc and therefore bends the disc prior to the other pad pressing against the disc. Will try do free up potentially stuck piston.

Maybe, as Nick said, the pads are contaminated and it will go back to normal with new pads...
  • nicklouse
    often you have to hold the caliper to stop some movement when tightening.

little by little end by end till it behaves then tight then bed in.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Maybe its been run out of line and now the pad is worn at an angle and won't sit straight?

Pad down to metal backplate?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nickfrog
    nicklouse wrote:
    often you have to hold the caliper to stop some movement when tightening.

little by little end by end till it behaves then tight then bed in.

Cheers Nick, will try again !

There is still about 50% of the pad material left.
  • 5pudgun
    5pudgun Posts: 402
    Undo the bolts again,apply the brake and tighten up with the brake on.Should be centred when released.
  • nickfrog
    Cheers. The normal procedure does not work in my case as Nick suggested. I managed to get a perfect alignment by trial and error and the disc is now perfectly centred.... which has not solved the problem.

Ordered some sintered pads from Superstar.

How do I change them BTW ? Is it just a case of removing the pin with plyers and inserting the new pads ?
  • 5pudgun
    5pudgun Posts: 402
    nickfrog wrote:

How do I change them BTW ? Is it just a case of removing the pin with plyers and inserting the new pads ?
    pretty much yes, may be a guide on you tube,have a look
  • nickfrog
    5pudgun wrote:
    nickfrog wrote:

pretty much yes, may be a guide on you tube,have a look

Cheers changed them today, how easy. These are the old pads:

23ma0bk.jpg

Is that what contaminated pads would look like ?

There is much less travel at the lever now and hardly any space between pad and disk so I assume there is no automatic compensation for pad wear as on a car ?
  • nicklouse
    yes there is auto adjustment.

did you push the pistons full home, sounds like you did not.
  • nickfrog
    No, I did not push no pistons no more (triple negative!!). TBF, I quite like a grabby, on/off lever like that, even at the obvious detriment of modulation. Is it OK to just leave it like that Nick (from a mechanical point of view) ? Cheers.