Pedal replacement

tobermory
tobermory Posts: 138
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
I want to put new flat pedals on my commuter bike as i cannot be bothered clipping and unclipping and i can where normal trainers.
Can anyone recommend a make i won't some that are durable up to about £50.
Never trust anyone who says trust me

Comments

• jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    something like a DMR V8 or V12 should do the job for about £25

PE407E00BLK__916_ALOY.jpg
  • gadgets
    gadgets Posts: 100
    The Shimano M324 is a hybrid, spd on one side and flats on the other

5715970812_76843122c9_s.jpg
    M324 by gadgets.loco, on Flickr

It's currently £29.99 in Charinreactioncycles (Evans price matched and I will pick this up later today from my local Evans store)
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... roducts-UK
    Synapse Disc 3 Ultegra '14/CAADX 5 105 '11
  • crumpetman
    crumpetman Posts: 11
    +1 for DMR V8s, I have a pair on my road commuter and have not had one slip even through winter and rain.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    You can't be bothered clipping in and out. Can you be bothered to replace your shoes every couple of months?

I am usually a SPD or SPD-SL user, but after hundreds of miles commuting using flat pedals over winter, I can tell you that those spikey flat pedals kill trainers. Those spikes things will dig holes into your soles and riding on flats will delaminate the soles of your shoes.

I can see no advantage to flats if you are a regular commuter.
    If you use flats you will kill your footwear, so you end up choosing a pair of trainers to wear to death (or wear many to near death). Then when your first choice is dead, you move onto another pair to kill. Repeat ad infinitum
    If you use SPDs or another other clipless system, you wear the cleats out, but they are designed to be replaced. My SPD-SLs have at least 20,000 miles under their belts and the actual shoes are as good as new, but need new cleats, which cost £20 max. Even better are my SPDs (on a different bike for a different kind of riding) that have only a few thousand miles under their belts, but are easier to walk in and the cleats are cheaper to replace (~£10).

For a regular cyclist (commuter), I can see no up-side to using flats.
    Shoes are more expensive than cleats. Cleats have more grip once you are clipped in (obviously) and the M324s give the best of both worlds.
    On the downside, M324s need a special tool to rebuild them (after many thousands of miles you will want to replace/regrease the bearings) and I've been told that the tool is more expensive than the pedals!
    Even taking that into account, it works out cheaper either buying the tool and servicing the pedals or buying new pedals than it does replacing trainers every few hundred miles.

Those spiky flat things are for kids who ride to the local skate park to show off in front of girls by doing bunny hops and drinking cider. Adults ride clipless.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    No i cannot be bothered lazy git me plus i do not commute everyday on a bike so maybe some flats would be ok.
    So i guess i am not an adult either concurs with what the family says
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    I have these on all my bikes, have tried many and find these are the best

http://www.sram.com/truvativ/products/t ... elt-pedals

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/33 ... edals.html

I only wear Meindl walking shoes in the rain (£120) and Guide tennie in good weather £80, these have never damaged my shoes.

http://www.snowandrock.com/pws/UniquePr ... n=products
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • forcutty
    forcutty Posts: 1,055
    Try Superstar they make some decent flats
    Their stuff is of good quality for the money
    Better than DMR any day
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=127
  • EKE_38BPM
    I have never understood why JR makes such a big fuss about wearing walking boots when on a bike? It makes absolutely no sense to me. They definitely sound like the wrong tool for the job.

Walking boots for walking, cycling shoes for cycling, football boots for football, tennis shoes for tennis etc.

• crumpetman
    crumpetman Posts: 11
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    You can't be bothered clipping in and out. Can you be bothered to replace your shoes every couple of months?

Even taking that into account, it works out cheaper either buying the tool and servicing the pedals or buying new pedals than it does replacing trainers every few hundred miles.

Those spiky flat things are for kids who ride to the local skate park to show off in front of girls by doing bunny hops and drinking cider. Adults ride clipless.

I tried SPD for a while and just did not get on with it. I felt less comfortable and also I like to be able to pop out on my bike at lunchtime without having to get changed.

I had been using an old pair of trainers and after about 2000 miles of cycling I decided to change them. They are still fine for walking but the pedal pins were digging into the soles too much.

I think the average trainer is going to last more than a few hundred miles on flat pedals. Even so, it's not about the cost it's about what is comfortable to the individual.
  • jeremyrundle
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I have never understood why JR makes such a big fuss about wearing walking boots when on a bike? It makes absolutely no sense to me. They definitely sound like the wrong tool for the job.

Walking boots for walking, cycling shoes for cycling, football boots for football, tennis shoes for tennis etc.

Unless you have tried walking shoes (I have never said anywhere anything about walking boots check what I have written), you are not in a position to judge, and anyway, if someone was happy and comfortable wearing wellies that is down to them, are you saying people should not wear trainers, I would not but others may.

http://www.rutlandoutdoor.com/22265/Mei ... n=pid22265

I wear Meindl walking shoes, and thay are the best thing I have cycled in and I have no intention of using clips etc.

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If you want the option of swapping to clipless later on then Shimano make a couple of dual purpose pedals, e.g. A530. Best of both worlds.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I like MKS pedals, the Sylvian Touring have a wide, flat cage, the GR9 have a wide platform.
    They are quite well sealed and the cup and cone bearings are easy to service. I put a bit of grease in every 3 -4 years.
    Do you want BMX style pins? They improve grip at the risk of a nasty injury and can damage normal shoes.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Unless you have tried walking shoes (I have never said anywhere anything about walking boots check what I have written), you are not in a position to judge, and anyway, if someone was happy and comfortable wearing wellies that is down to them, are you saying people should not wear trainers, I would not but others may.

http://www.rutlandoutdoor.com/22265/Mei ... n=pid22265

I wear Meindl walking shoes, and thay are the best thing I have cycled in and I have no intention of using clips etc.

I can't be bothered to check, but if I misquoted you about shoes/boots, I apologise, however I still don't see why you would wear walking shoes for cycling.
    Made from the finest Nubuck Leather available the Meindl Lugano GTX Walking Shoes - 2011 set the standard for everyday walking comfort.
    They look like very nice shoes for walking in. But my cycling shoes cost about half that and I'm sure they are more suited to the job of cycling.

I hate using clips too, thats why I use SPDs, they're clipless ennit!

• motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    been riding in trainers on V12's for years and never noticed any undue wear as a result.
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • jeremyrundle
    You need to look at the soles, see what they are made of, and experience the grip afforded by the shoe on the peds on MTBs to know.

I buy my shoes from a local shop, where one of the top cyclists at westcountry riders works, and many of the local cyclists go, so they know about cyclists needs and what they all wear.

So cycling as well as walking is taken into account when buying, whereas when you go to a "shoe shop" the staff have no idea about cyclists needs.

Finally at £120 they are the cheapest shoes I have ever bought, the first pair were bought in Inverness when I lived in Scotland, thay are still going after 9 years and should last another three, being "quality" leather, made for bad weather and walking "comfort" I have three pair, worn daily, NEVER cold feet no matter how deep the snow, and at £10 per year cost can the same be said for "cycle shoes". Can you walk on tarmac, pavements etc all day in them then cycle.