Skin tight or baggy?

ChrisLS
ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
...roadie or mountain biker sort of look? Which do you prefer?

I ask this because recently my wife commented that physically I'm not bad, but just getting a bit baggy :o:(:cry: It's all heading south and I am an ex fat boy. Anyway since then I have been restocking my cycling wardrobe with looser fitting stuff. I could get myself in to the gym to tone up my upper body I suppose...

Sorry to bring up such an unpleaset subject so early.
...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...

Comments

• CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    Baggy.

I'm quite thin (5'10'' and under 11 stone) and I think skinny stuff makes me look like Gareth out of The Office - you all remember the episode where he's lycra clad in work and they all take the pi$$? :lol:

I go with Endura shorts and wear baggy Karrimor tops. Lycra shorts are under the proper shorts to keep me warm and supported ;)
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Baggy for the commute but tight lycra for club rides. I recently bought a new pair of bib shorts with orange and white rather than black lycra and it's true, lighter coloures lycra does tend to expose ummm everything...!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Tight; like a tiger.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    jeans & rugby jersey

Although I did swap the jersey for a few of those merino tops that were on special a few months back.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Ah - I have my 3/4 lycra on, then baggy shorts and a tee shirt or 2 depending on morning cold.

Accessorize with arm warmers.

So, I do both!
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    tight with baggy over the top
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    baggy, but lycra bib underneath for longer rides.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    tobermory wrote:
    Ah, "modesty shorts", yes indeed. I wear them in the winter.

An icy headwind and a firm seat post can leave things a shadow of their former self!

:)
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    BR 1979 wrote:
    tobermory wrote:
    Ah, "modesty shorts", yes indeed. I wear them in the winter.

An icy headwind and a firm seat post can leave things a shadow of their former self!

:)
    They hide the belly better :D
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    Baggy for the commute and tight lycra for the training rides, i always find lycra more comfortable nowadays :?
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Lycra with footy shorts over as i get funny looks in just lycra at work...

in winter i cover up with more baggy but lycra is still underneath..
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    im a recent convert over to lycra for the commute, i find it way more comfy than my baggies an god knows why but i seem to wear holes in the legs of all my baggies

lycra seems to be bit more tougher, plus it has the added benefit of making me ride faster as there ain't nothing worse than someone riding slow in lycra!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • ThatBikeGuy
    mudcow007 wrote:
    im a recent convert over to lycra for the commute, i find it way more comfy than my baggies an god knows why but i seem to wear holes in the legs of all my baggies

lycra seems to be bit more tougher, plus it has the added benefit of making me ride faster as there ain't nothing worse than someone riding slow in lycra!

Could the hole burning be due to it rubbing on stitching on your saddle? Or simply riding so fast you literally burn holes in them :wink:
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Could the hole burning be due to it rubbing on stitching on your saddle? Or simply riding so fast you literally burn holes in them :wink:

it could be the stitching to be honest, as most of the holes are by my "gooch" area of the shorts

to honest though i prefer to think its my awesomeness!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Baggies, mostly, though Lycra is seeming like a less and less ridiculous premise these days. It's quite worrying
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I used to wear Endura Humvees over my bibs - but then I realised on extended commutes they were giving me saddle sores so I stopped bothering with them. Much more comfortable without.

I no doubt look a bit like Gareth but then so would Andy Schleck or Wiggo so it isn't worth worrying about!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Lycra for anything over about 5 miles. Baggy to go the shops/pub and back.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Tends to be lycras, but with baggy shorts on top for the commute. I feel like a bit of a nonce dropping my son at nursery otherwise! Tighter the better for tops though, I hate it when they end up flapping about in the wind.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    BigMat wrote:
    Tighter the better for tops though, I hate it when they end up flapping about in the wind.

Castelli Aero Race FTW . Best. Tops. Ever.
  • ThatBikeGuy
    HamishD wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    Tighter the better for tops though, I hate it when they end up flapping about in the wind.

Castelli Aero Race FTW . Best. Tops. Ever.

I want one of those, price is a tad steep though :evil:
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • Tight, or there's complaints. I have to keep my public happy.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Modesty shorts over bibs for the commute. Tighty lycra for everything else.
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Lycra all year despite the fact all my leg hair pokes through my tights and shorts making me look like a freak, there must be a way around this issue.....
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I go to full lycra in the summer, but at the moment it's baggy overshorts for the temperature control - thankfully the access to the changing areas aren't through the open plan office space so it's not a concern
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • samivel
    samivel Posts: 81
    tight,

Tried baggy on top of lycra but found it heavy, flappy and now I have discovered bibs can't stand shorts diggin in at my waist
    Samivel

Black Allez, FCN 5, will always try to say hello.
    Normal commute - Eltham, Greenwich, London Bridge
  • ThatBikeGuy
    welkman wrote:
    Lycra all year despite the fact all my leg hair pokes through my tights and shorts making me look like a freak, there must be a way around this issue.....

Get the waxing strips out! :twisted:
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    edited May 2011
    Given that i work at a school, I feel my future employment could be somewhat jeapordised by wandering around the corridors on arrival in my preferred bibshorts - so some baggy covering required.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    3/4 baggy over lycra - warm, no chafing and doesnt frighten children and small animals
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Belly? Looking "saggy"???? Baggy to "cover up"????

I have a fantastic arse and franky the world is a better place because I am in lycra.

Do you guys really ride bikes? If so how come it hasn't toned your buns?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Can't believe the amount of baggy-over-lycra going on!

Tight-tight-tight
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH