Rockshox Tora 302 Clunking - SORTED?

green_hornet
green_hornet Posts: 20
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

There's been a lots of discussion on the Web about noises from Rockshox Toras. Mine have been fine but my son uses the same fork and he was getting a metallic 'clunk' whenever the forks were depressed. While the forks performed well, it was driving him nuts.

After much head scratching, I realised that the internal air tube was very slightly short. Consequently, the tube would move with the piston and strike the top cap assembly. I made a washer from a strip of inner tube, attached it to the top assembly so that it would cushion the tube and it works brilliantly!

Depending on whether my washer degrades in the fork oil, I might need to replace it with another material, I'll wait and see.

Hope this helps someone - Unfortunately, SRAM and TFTuned weren't much help.

Comments

• blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    if the fork was causing issues so that it starts to affect ride handling then you could take it back or get replacement if it is quite new.

problem is with "noise" issues there isnt much you can do, and like you said TF tuned probably dont really care much, given the fork isnt "High spec" stuff they useally deal with.

That DIY fix should work but over a few weeks it might come loose so maybe trying to find proper washer from a plumbers shop might be a idea, as that be a lot better fix.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This is a good idea, just did it with my Tora and cured a metallic thunk on compression. the air cap is a lax fit into the air tube, though it may just need a new o ring.