helmet for about £40? low profile?

El Selb
El Selb Posts: 137
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
I've just moved in to london and am about to start commuting to work.

My current helmet is a big lumpy looking thing and i'm just wondering what's the coolest looking thing i can buy with a small budget of about £40?!

I bought my current bike when i just started cycling properly about 6 months ago and didn't realise how bad mine looked!!

I've seen this giro but i wonder whether it's going to be pretty big in the flesh....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=16578

thanks

Comments

• mrobbie
    mrobbie Posts: 64
    I just got a Specialized Echelon and its not overly big. Very comfortable and good on ventilation. I think Evans Cycles have them at £45 online?

The Giro you link to looks good, but I would recommend that you go and try the helmets on first for fit and then seek out the best price online.
    Quite addicted to cycling now....
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    One piece of advice is NEVER buy off the web without actually trying a helmet for fitting first.

Just because a MET fits me (that is all I wear) does not mean it will fit you.

I hate the feel and fit of Giro helmets and have never found one that is comfortable, whilst others will find other makes feel better, asking advice on what to buy in a helmet is like asking what car to buy, it is a personal thing. Safety should have nothing to do with looks, in reality.

If you are asking what make people suggest for the price may be different but TRY it first.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    This was a good bargain, however they only seem to have limited supply left:

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/giro-saros- ... duct/20145

I've got 2 - very comfortable with lots of big vents for airflow
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    In addition to the sound advice above, check that the straps hold their adjustment if given a tug - there is nothing more annoying than having to readjust straps all the time to stay comfortable. I have a Bell helmet that has tiny plastic spikes in the buckles to keep the straps where you set them.
  • bakerstreet
    bakerstreet Posts: 108
    I have that Gyro helmet all be it in a slightly different colour scheme. Thankfully I haven't had to test its strength yet :lol:

I have had mine since September last year and it has been fine. The rear adjuster wheel works very well and the straps don't appear to slip. Think I paid around £26 from Evans :)
    2010 Giant Defy 2 running SRAM Force and Shimano RS80/C24s with Continental 4 Seasons
    1999 Carrera Integer MTB
    2014 Planet X SLX
  • Makker
    Makker Posts: 8
    I have a cheap giro I got a couple of years ago and it's a bulky ugly fugger. Right advice above... Try on in shop and order online. IMO they should all be safe and pretty adjustable, so get whatever you think looks least bad.
  • mush1976
    mush1976 Posts: 54
    Onix bikes have a Rudy Project Kontact for £40.00.

Looks good to me as a replacemnt for my dying Giro Monza.

Does anyone have any experience of these?

• El Selb
    Still havent got a new helmet - this weekend though! Jut bought some new tyres, helmet next. Looked like I had a box strapped to my head when I did the Dunwich Dynamo at the weekend.

Anyone got any new recommendations for my £40-50?
  • El Selb
    Tried a Specialized Echelon on in Evans today, felt well nice. £50. Not even cheaper on the net (for a black/large) so I reckon i'll be going back tomorrow.