Zen and the art of SCR

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
This morning's commute was possibly one of the best ever. A tail wind helped, as did riding in team kit (you up your game) but something else clicked. It felt like the bike, road and I were all one. Everything flowed, I moved around obstacles before they were visible, pedestrians checked before they stepped off the curb, speed as a number not an effort, I was the fastest thing on the road, cars gave me the space I needed, I could have gone on for hours. SCR became (almost) irrelevant.

Anyone else experienced a cycling nirvana? BTW, I know I'm going to pay for that on the way to RP and then home, but that's for later!
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Float day FTW :D

Yeah, they happen for me, too. Just not very often.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • seadog12
    seadog12 Posts: 36
    Had a similar experience on the way home - battling through a nasty headwind I turned sharply right and suddenly the wind was behind me....almost silence, all I could hear was the gentle sound of tyres rolling at 22mph on an incline - heart rate barely over 100, pedalling so easy...heaven.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Had a day like that on Monday - tail wind all the way in and all the lights turned green as I approached - didn't need to stop once - even had plenty of room in the bike shed 8)
  • bmca2010
    bmca2010 Posts: 54
    for an even deeper connection to the centre of the universe go fixie :P
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    bmca2010 wrote:
    for an even deeper connection to the centre of the universe go fixie :P

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    :wink:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    There are days Grasshopper when the flux flows, when then the hum of 110psi meets the crispness of the smooth butter tarmac. When the abstinence from the cigars leaves the pipes menthol clean. When the Gods of the wind are reduced by the sheer presence of your monumental and effortless power to a mere warm zephyr at your back.

At these moments nirvana is yours.

Yeah Baby!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Ah so you're the reason I had 360 degrees of wind in the park this evening. Your pleasure my pain.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    SimonAH wrote:
    There are days Grasshopper when the flux flows, when then the hum of 110psi meets the crispness of the smooth butter tarmac. When the abstinence from the cigars leaves the pipes menthol clean. When the Gods of the wind are reduced by the sheer presence of your monumental and effortless power to a mere warm zephyr at your back.

At these moments nirvana is yours.

Yeah Baby!

:lol:

A true wordsmith.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    edited May 2011
    ...a pilgrim once asked his Master, "Tell me master what must I do to follow the way of SCR?" The Master answered, "You must become like the wind my son...silent and then you must leave speedily before anyone realizes it was you..." :wink:
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    ChrisLS wrote:
    ...a pilgrim once asked his Master, "Tell me master what must I do to follow the way of SCR?" The Master answered, "You must become like the wind my son...silent and then leave speedily before anyone realizes it was you..." :wink:

From the creator of the mighty SCR thread!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Jay dubbleU
    ChrisLS wrote:
    ...a pilgrim once asked his Master, "Tell me master what must I do to follow the way of SCR?" The Master answered, "You must become like the wind my son...silent and then you must leave speedily before anyone realizes it was you..." :wink:

Nice one 8)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    ChrisLS wrote:

Hang on, we talking about cycling or breaking wind?
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    A novice follower of the SCR path was listening to his Master as they rode along on their bikes. "The way of SCR is the way of turning." the Master explained," We turn the pedals that in turn, turn the wheels, just as the universe turns being propelled by the mighty pedals, we are turning, turning, turning. Follow me now ..."

Suddenly the Master vanished from sight.

The novice rode straight on and as he passed a turning he saw his Master who was shouting, "...turning left..why don't you listen."

...I am sooo bored :roll:
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thanks for that lift - bad legs day today, I put it down to 3 weeks off and then dropping the hammer on the first day back......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Jay dubbleU
    ChrisLS wrote:
    A novice follower of the SCR path was listening to his Master as they rode along on their bikes. "The way of SCR is the way of turning." the Master explained," We turn the pedals that in turn, turn the wheels, just as the universe turns being propelled by the mighty pedals, we are turning, turning, turning. Follow me now ..."

Suddenly the Master vanished from sight.

The novice rode straight on and as he passed a turning he saw his Master who was shouting, "...turning left..why don't you listen."

...I am sooo bored :roll:

But enlightened............... 8)