Now this is, I believe, the definition of a nodder....

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Found whilst pootling around youtube, wtf happened here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KJn82C81jM&NR=1

This gives me the very definition of three-way ambivalence between :shock: :?: and Bwahahaha!
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    seen it before and I can only think that the front brake was applied or jammed on instantly; I can't see what else would have caused it.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    If only she had been wearing a helmet, this accident could have been prevented. :(
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    notsoblue wrote:
    If only she had been wearing a helmet, this accident could have been prevented. :(

severity possibly reduced but not prevented :wink:
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    She went over because she nodded forward so hard at the exact same time as the wheel hit the lip of the crossing. That'd be enough to throw you over the bars.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    Ouch face plant... I bet she got some nice road rash after that :lol:
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I'm surprised she didn't get whiplash from the furious nodding
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • seadog12
    seadog12 Posts: 36
    This made me chuckle (30 seconds in) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIslEGylGu0&NR=1
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The portentious voive over says:
    She actually put her Foot in her Spokes"
    Whereas in fact, she didnt. As Craig says, she pushed down on the bars as she hit the bump, where she should have unweighted.
  • Portentous voiceover from a convicted drunk driver, with a history of lecturing cyclists.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Love how she's competing with the other guy. Reminds me of a simpleton at work who goes hell for leather on the cross-trainer in the gym, whilst peering across to see what speed/incline etc your'e doing.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Saw a classical nodder as I walked along Oxford Street earlier. If I'd been a bit quicker I'd have recorded it on my phone for the monthly 'What's a nodder?' thread..
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    notsoblue wrote:

Sense of humour fail. It would be Hi Viz that prevent it.

How can someone nod so hard? Do they ride thinking "This is what Vikki P and Chris Hoy do!" or is it more along the lines of "If I can keep this up for a few thousand miles, I could win the TdF"
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    notsoblue wrote:

I'm reading irony here.

However... with her head rocking forward like that, the additional mass of a helmet coupled with the further offset centre of gravity would have increased the angular momentum as she went over the bars and resulted in a harder impact with the road.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    notsoblue wrote:

Not even close.

A full face helmet would have helped. A regular cycling helmet strapped on really hard (read suffocation) would have possibly cracked itself.
    A cycling helmet worn just right would have slid back a bit and not absorbed any of the face impact.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Clearly what happened was the set of lights on the left went to red. The poor cyclist on the right hand side stopped quickly and fell whereas the one on the left sailed through.
    RLJing is safer. FACT
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo