hampton court (near train station) to woking commute

hiddink
hiddink Posts: 2
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
Hi all

i am looking to commute from Hamptom Court to Woking for my new job.

I just have a few questions about it.

I am thinking of using the thames tow path route. Has anyone ever tried this? And how long would it take for a competent cyclist to take? I hope the 12 miles each way won't be too difficult such as lots of hills etc.

Do people think there is a better route to take?

Thanks in advance for your replies. I hope to be a regular on here!

H

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Hi there - the tow path has lots of joggers and peds on it and it I think it would add alot on to your journey. I'd recommend heading into Molesey and getting on to Island Farm Rd, TL into Molesey Rd, TR Rydens Rd and then cross the rail tracks behind Walton station and go Queens Rd to Weybridge Station and then Brooklands Rd and Old Woking Rd into Woking. I reckon that would be quickest.
  • piquet
    piquet Posts: 83
    hiddink wrote:
    Hi all

i am looking to commute from Hamptom Court to Woking for my new job.

I just have a few questions about it.

I am thinking of using the thames tow path route.

H

Parts very muddy in wet weather, not deep mud but very splashy puddles - shower essential
  • tjh159
    tjh159 Posts: 21
    I agree with the via weybridge route. If you need someone to ride with for a while I hit Queens Road around 7.10 am most mornings. Nothing is more frustrating than getting slowed down by peds!!!
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    It is possible to do the route almost entirely offroad, Hampton Court -> Weybridge Thames Path, then Wey Navigation to Byfleet where it becomes the Basingstoke Canal.

The Thames Path is ok for cycling but has some muddy bits, a bridge, a decent-sized 'must dismount' lock and personally I wouldn't do it.

The Wey Navigation is painfully slow and more of a recreational route, avoid.

The Basingstoke Canal has a hard all-weather surface designated for cycling but there are still peds on, but it's worth trying.

My suggestion is A3050->Walton-on-Thames->Weybridge, A317,B3121->Addlestone. TL past Addlestone station Corrie Road, TR Crockford Park Road, TL A318 New Haw Road, BR B385 Woodham Lane, TL Scotland Bridge Road, TR onto Basingstoke Canal at Camphill Road. Emerges at Chobham Road/Victoria Way (there are earlier exits also).

There aren't many hills on this route, have a look at bikehike for details. Nothing to worry about there.