Tubus Tara front rack problem

Todd Sweeney
Todd Sweeney Posts: 117
edited May 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hello,

I recently purchased a Tubus Tara front rack to use with Carradice Super C front panniers. I have found that, in use, the panniers slide back and forth along the rack and are very wobbly. I have them clipped on as tightly as I possibly can, and have no such problems with the rear panniers (also Super C). Am I doing something wrong? I am considering wrapping the rack with duct tape at the clip contact points as I thought this may make them thicker and eliminate the issue.

Any advice would be very welcome - thanks in advance.

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    You can stop horizontal sliding by careful positioning of the pannier hooks on their rail. Make sure one of them butts up against a stop on the rack.
    Use the "doorhandle" anti-sway to provide the other horizontal stop.

Can you post a pic of your current fitting, esp the hook positions.
  • cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    Are you saying one problem is that the diameter of the rack material is too small for the platic clips to grip properly - hence they rattle?

I know Ortlieb have inserts to their pannier clips for such situations. But that's no help to you....

You could get some small-dia hose - say 8mm dia? - and slice it down one side and bond a short section to the rack's top rail. I did this once to stop my panniers sliding back and forth. You could try duct tape to make the rail thicker, but it'd look more of a bodge IMO.

I suggest you take a look in a builder's/plumber's merchant etc for hose. Even a car parts place may have some.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Talk to Carradice - I'd have thought you should be able to get inserts for the pannier clips (do they use the Rixen Kaul system?).
  • Todd Sweeney
    Todd Sweeney Posts: 117
    Thanks for the advice everyone. The panniers use the Carradice "C" System hooks. I've looked at the accessories available on their website but they don't list any inserts for them, so I may try and bond some hose to the top section of the rack as suggested (I'll email Carradice just in case though).

The main issue with the Tara rack, as compared to my rear rack, is that there doesn't seem to be a convenient stop on the rack to butt one of the hooks up to.

I probably just need to have a bit of a mess around with them really. I fitted the rack and panniers in a bit of a hurry the night before using them for a 3 day tour so it is probably mostly down to me!

Thanks again.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Try clamping on a, I believe they're called jubilee clamps in Britland, to use as a hook stop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hose_clamp (photo in top right corner).
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I can't see what you've got to lose from giving them a ring. After all one of the great advantages of buying from British company is that it's so easy to ring them up and talk to them. There might be something you've missed - I honestly can't believe that Carradice would make panniers that didn't work with these racks. Pick up the phone - it could be worth the trouble.